Garden remake.. of sorts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HTM~Herc7~DXII View Post
    This was the only map made by my former clanmate A|M][EByte that I can't stand to play and also the only one we play that I will usually go away when voted. That being said, the reason is... I despise maps where you can fall off and instantly die! To give EByte a little credit, he put up some fences, but you can still fall off over them kinda easily. I will play this map and not leave and go look for a Left4Dead survival co-op - if you make it either impossible to fall off or make it so when u fall off if you materialize somewhere and are still alive. Okay, Hercky the beayattch is done his GardenH8Rant!!! I challenge you to make this map so you can't instant-fall-die!

Hey Herc. The simple answer to your question is yes. Q or I could very easily place some blocking volumes to keep you from falling off of the side and plunging immediately to a very bloody and painful death. The volumes are invisible and should not affect game play in any way. You would be blocked but weapon projectiles would not. The map would look and play exactly the same. There is one spot where you can go over the side and land on the rocky side. Still alive. Too far down to shield jump or goo jump up the side so you are left with one conclusion. Suicide. And that means -1 point I think. Worse than getting killed.

Tell you what. You get the OK from the rest of the Clan and come up with a name that you want for it, then Q or I will build a version and not place it on outside mapping sites for download to the public but only use it on our servers. Having said this, I'm not sure what Q is up to and I have respect enough for him to wait and see what he has to say.

~Bob.
    Last edited by HTM~BullyBob; 04-30-2017, 04:34 PM.
    "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

That is an E-Byte map, he was a gr8 map maker and also clan leader in =A!M=, where Foo, BigC and I used to belong... and where TAM was created.

I love all of his maps... especially Ages... except this 1 - that I really don't like to play; and I will usually decline to play it (& maybe come back later).

That is my opinion, just from me, but I know there's a few others that do not like the map... but many love it, I'm sure, so go for it - and good luck Q.

PS - *IF* you make it so you can't fall off and instantly die, I promise I'll give this map another chance in its new form - if you do that little tweak.
      http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/0/herculon7.png

Comment

I just saw this after my new reply just now - sorry if I repeated myself if so... and thanks for your consideration.
        If it is set so no one instantly dies from falling... count me in! EByte is a fine mapmaker - and sorry for bitching!

Originally posted by HTM~BullyBob View Post
        Hey Herc. The simple answer to your question is yes. Q or I could very easily place some blocking volumes to keep you from falling off of the side and plunging immediately to a very bloody and painful death. The volumes are invisible and should not affect game play in any way. You would be blocked but weapon projectiles would not. The map would look and play exactly the same. There is one spot where you can go over the side and land on the rocky side. Still alive. Too far down to shield jump or goo jump up the side so you are left with one conclusion. Suicide. And that means -1 point I think. Worse than getting killed.

Tell you what. You get the OK from the rest of the Clan and come up with a name that you want for it, then Q or I will build a version and not place it on outside mapping sites for download to the public but only use it on our servers. Having said this, I'm not sure what Q is up to and I have respect enough for him to wait and see what he has to say.

~Bob.
        http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/0/herculon7.png

Comment

Hey Herc. If i'm correct E-Byte is Len Bradley. If so Len gave me express permission back in December of 2010 to alter the GoS map. I remade a GoS XL map back then but did not address falling (or getting pushed) off of the sides. He actually viewed a beta before I released it. Here's what he had to say;

"Hi, thanks for contacting me about the map and letting me know whats going on. I'll get right to the point and say... don't worry about it"

"I really had no idea that people were even still playing my maps anymore and am glad that you and others are enjoying it. I checked out the version you modified and I like the additions you've made. I really wouldn't even mind if you were to finish it up and release it to the public... so go ahead if you'd like. Again, thanks for letting me know and don't worry about it at all."

If I'm wrong about any of this Herc please let me know.~Bob

BTW-I don't feel easy about altering GoS of my own accord. I would still feel like it was acceptable with the maj of members and if Q already has anything going I don't want to step on his toes either
          "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

I think I can speak for the majority of the GoS haters here.

If you fixed the fence so people wouldn't fall off and cleaned up some of the areas people get hung up on it would be a huge hit.

I personally have learned to avoid the hang up spots, but I hear others complain about them. Now, there are a few spots higher up where a skilled shock rifle owner can hit you twice in succession and blow you off the map. I think this should remain, as it is the same in DM-Morpheus and a few other maps.

Comment

Working...
            X