Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

I've heard a few of you talking about the free Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft is pushing this out to their customers in waves so not everyone can download it today on the release date. If you just can't wait, here is a link that shows you how to force the update and start the download immediately. I tried it and it works well.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/ho...-update-files/
    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Clean install of windows 10

Seems legit.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/201...ndows-7-and-8/
    Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
    sigpic

Comment

Has anyone installed Windows 10 yet? I have mine reserved, and I am going to create an .iso and DVD with the link provided above, but might wait to get the notification on my desktop. Not sure which option is best.

So, if anyone has Windows 10 installed what do you think? Any bugs? Any good things to report? Should I go ahead and install it? Looking forward to your thoughts!

P.S. Thank you for the useful link Herc!
      sigpic

Comment

I have it reserved as well, but with any new OS it's probably best to wait a bit.

"Second mouse gets the cheese" ~ Parlatz
        sigpic

Comment

I have installed and have almost no issues. The only one that I have came across so far is I had to use the Win64 patch for UT2004 (in the downloads if needed). Other than that... nothing.

I will note though that I have not ran a lot of different games, etc. on it yet. Since I built this system I have kept everything to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~.:Q:.
            I have installed and have almost no issues. The only one that I have came across so far is I had to use the Win64 patch for UT2004 (in the downloads if needed). Other than that... nothing.

I will note though that I have not ran a lot of different games, etc. on it yet. Since I built this system I have kept everything to a minimum.
            Heya Q,

Did you get the automated message through windows, or did you use the download link that Blues posted?
            sigpic

Comment

I did the upgrade on my older machine just for shits and grins. That computer has some issues with most of the SATA ports not working (Intel issue a few years back with the H41 chipset). I had already purchased a new MOBO to replace it and was waiting for the opportunity to get it done. In the meantime I figured I would do the upgrade to see how it went.

The upgrade itself was smooth with MOST of my settings and data intact. My Norton was disabled so I went in and enabled Windows Defender for the time being. IE is replaced by "Edge" which looks a lot like Chrome or Firefox with tabbed browsing. The only big issue I had with the upgrade was with the NVidia drivers. Every time I tried shutting down normally I got the old Blue Screen Of Death and it restarted again. I couldn't shut down unless I did a hard shutdown.

I decided to finally switch the MOBO and at the same time I upgraded things a bit and put in a Corsair H60 cooler and a Crucial MX200 SSD. I found out that if you change the motherboard (even keeping all other components the same) that Microsoft considers it a DIFFERENT computer and the Windows 10 upgrade will not work. I ended up purchasing a builders edition copy of Win 10 and installing it. Working good so far but it's only been an hour since I loaded the OS. I'll let you know how things go as I reload all my stuff (from my NAS server) and get back to speed.
              Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~TheGame View Post
                Heya Q,

Did you get the automated message through windows, or did you use the download link that Blues posted?
                I used the automatted set up.

Comment

Thanks Q, still waiting on my notification, but I have also read that people who use the download tool have had a lot of success as well. I guess it doesn't matter which method you do. I do want to make a DVD and .ISO though to have for the future in case there are any issues. I read it was easy to roll back to Windows 8.1 - I made a backup image but I hardly have anything on this PC anyway since all of my hard drives got fried, the new hard drives I have just have my basic programs on it, nothing really important so I guess I don't have too much to lose to go ahead and try - still, I may wait a few days.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Herc7~DXII
                    Thanks for giving me a paranoia flare up Herc.
                    sigpic

Comment

Think I'll just keep running 7.
                      sigpic

Comment

I found all that info without seeing the article. All disabled. Also don't use my Microsoft account as a log in.

Comment

NO need to feel paranoid. The article details things u can do to turn off the many ways Windows 10 is set up to automatically mine data from your setup.

Originally posted by HTM~ZenEye
                          Thanks for giving me a paranoia flare up Herc.
                          http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/0/herculon7.png

Comment

The biggest reason for the lengthy agreement and subsequent data "mineing" is actually now required by law. Most of the information they mine is for people with multiple machines with the same OS and using their Microsoft Accounts as the log in. Its similar to computers being connected to a Domain with file replication and offline files enabled.

This allows one to move from, say a Desktop running windows 10, to a Laptop running windows 10 using the same log in credentials. Peronsally, what's it's done for me is set the other computer up, upon log in, with wall papers documents, and preferred settings.

They've had similar agreements for Android devices. I really don't think it's as sinister as it sounds, but as Herc said, it's pretty easy to turn all that of. Or better, just use and offline Profile and most of those settings are irrelevant.

I've run a network monitor for all ports, and with my offline profile, I get next to zero data sent to Microsoft other than machine details as the OS is branded to the hardware and MS Updates.

Comment

Working...
                            X