No announcement yet.

Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also found this one - not sure if it has anything different but also advises.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-ke...730399429.html

Originally posted by HTM~Herc7~DXII View Post
    NO need to feel paranoid. The article details things u can do to turn off the many ways Windows 10 is set up to automatically mine data from your setup.
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/0/herculon7.png

Comment

Finally got my update notification that Windows 10 is ready to download and install. I may do so tonight or tomorrow, but I am going to do a full system image backup and clone my drive in case something goes wrong.
      sigpic

Comment

Before I installed win10, I exported my registry(system restore sucks and has been and always will be a broken product). I upgraded last night...so far so good after a few tweaks. I do like the feel of the GUI compared to Win8 but only time will tell.
        Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

For custom PC's, they're making us wait, but if you use the download from the posted link, it will allow you to do one of three things: Upgrade to Windows 10, Make an ISO of Windows 10 Installer, or Make a bootable USB windows 10 Installer.

If you wait too long, (more than a year) your reservation expires and you pay, so I'd atleast download the program, make an ISO or USB and install it before the year is up.

All CD keys are the same, so the OS is tied to your hardware.

So what I'm wondering is, I have two machines that have the exact motherboard, CPU, and ram with different video cards and hard drives. I have a reservation for that machine, so I'm pretty sure I can just do a clean install. It was the one running the HTM|Warzone server, and I've temporarily killed the UT4 server on it.

I have noticed a difference in network speed from my windows 10 machine. It seems to copy files faster.

The only other issue I've had is when copying or installing anything I get 100% usage on my main drive which are RAID 0 SSD's. If you see this, you just manually set your minimum and maximum page file. Minimum being the amount of RAM, and max would be double that. Windows SUCKS at managing it itself.

Comment

Alright guys,having a problem here. After upgrading, every time I try to run UT, I get a D3DERR_DEVIVELOST crash, any help? By the way, all drivers are up to date, even before I upgraded.
            In Memory of Anna Dixon
            Aug. 31,1964 - Dec. 6,2012

Life is just an illusion,so,enjoy the ride while you can.

Depression sux.......but the drugs are good.

Comment

Still think there are reasons for giving this upgrade away, no trust in ms.
              sigpic

Comment

Interesting enough that I still have windows media player. I was told that win10 was not to have it....I wonder if it got carried over from 7/8/8.1.

Comment

So I went to the windows 10 download page and it checked my system. It then said my system was not eligible for upgrade. I find that odd since I have the Windows 7 Ultimate Genuine Microsoft version with both 32 and 64 bit discs. I believe I paid around $200.00 for it a few years back at Best Buy. It has the "Genuine Microsoft" label on the case.

Guess it's just not meant to be for me. I'll not pay for the new version any time soon especially now that I'm really perturbed with Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Cousin_Itt
                    Interesting enough that I still have windows media player. I was told that win10 was not to have it....I wonder if it got carried over from 7/8/8.1.
                    There are a lot of things that seem to be carried over and still functioning from earlier versions. If you type "control panel" in the search box, up pops the control panel just like it was in Win 7. Not sure if it's identical or just a front end for whatever vile evil code that MS has concocted to do the same functions, but it works the same.
                    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion
                      So I went to the windows 10 download page and it checked my system. It then said my system was not eligible for upgrade. I find that odd since I have the Windows 7 Ultimate Genuine Microsoft version with both 32 and 64 bit discs. I believe I paid around $200.00 for it a few years back at Best Buy. It has the "Genuine Microsoft" label on the case.

Guess it's just not meant to be for me. I'll not pay for the new version any time soon especially now that I'm really perturbed with Microsoft.
                      I'm sure it's just a simple misunderstanding. Don't worry, we'll just take control of your system for a bit and fix it for you......"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more."
                      Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Did you contact Microsoft an explain this to them?

"
                        Check Windows Update for an updated version of KB2952664 (Windows 7 SP1) or KB2976978 (Windows 8.x)
                        After installing the Windows Update, re-run the Compatibility Appraiser. This will happen automatically within a day or it can be run manually from an admin command prompt:
                        schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

Once started, it may take 10 minutes or so for the appraiser to complete. Once complete, re-open the Get Windows 10 app and it will have the updated compatibility information. Restart your computer and try again."
                        sigpic

Comment

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/u...al-information

Looks to me it's no better than spyware.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freak View Post
                            http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/u...al-information

Looks to me it's no better than spyware.
                            Not to try to scare anyone but what flavor of Windows has not done this in one form or another? What levels of privacy do you expect when you are on the net anyways? ANY TIME you are on the web there is a whole lot less privacy by nature let alone you let windows have full control over your data. Linux, Mac, Unix, android, none of it matters, they all have control. Even when you are not on the net, same still happens. Windows whatever flavor caches what you do. In the wrong hands that could be bad for some of you. You wanna be totally safe? Write your own OS. Then you will be safe....until you plug up again to that very addicting internet. I personally choose to run my windows as stripped down as possible, SHUT DOWN my rig when I am not near it, and not really giving a flying whatever if someone gets my data. Important things are done off line with a non internet connected pc if it has to be that private. Rant over...carry on.

Comment

I have every update windows offered and still nada.... I think it's a sign! Speaking of signs...

Comment

Media Center was removed, not media player.

If you upgrade, it will ask you if you want to use express setting or custom.(or something like that). If you choose the custom, you can turn all of this stuff off.

The funny thing is, nearly every version of windows since XP has always had many of what people are scared of. It's only coming out in these news articles because since Windows 8, Microsoft has a store and there are laptops and tablet with GPS. They are now required to disclose that the OS may need to share or be uploaded to Microsoft in able to use the functions.

This is no different than your cell phone, even flip phones, report your location, numbers called, etc. The reason for all this sudden unnecessary skepticism is they are required by law to disclose what may be shared or used.

As far as them giving it away for free is simply no large numbers of Windows8 or 8.1 sold outside the OEM market. People who build their own computers are of the ones who buys a new OS, and Windows 8 wasn't accepted very well.

Offering Windows 10 as an upgrade for free gives Microsoft a test group to gauge the rate of acceptance before flooding the marked with Retail CD's and excessive promotion.

If people like it, and I actually do, it runs better than 8 and 8.1, they'll show others and others will upgrade. Then when the 1 year mark hits, if people are still interested, then they can sell it, if not, they've not lost anything more than what they already have. Besides, since Microsoft has their Surface, I think they're testing the waters to see if they can get an OS upgrade adoption rate similar to Apple, who not only gives their latest OS away, but their productivity and creativity software too.

If you upgrade, you DO have the option to downgrade. Yea, you can actually uninstall the OS and put your previous back.

You cannot, however, do a clean install with this version. If you want a clean install you either have to buy retail or do the upgrade, when it's done hit F8 and choose the reset Windows 10. That will remove everything except the OS and drivers.

The only issue I had happened on two machines with nVidia drivers. One machine I installed the latest drivers for my GTX780 SSC ACX cards before upgrading and the others I did post upgrade. Two machines refused to install the driver, while the third (That only has a GT430 in it) installed just fine.

On both machines, I went into the device manager and had to manually install the driver as it was listed as Generic Microsoft Display Adapter or something to that effect.

After that, I reran the installer and it updated the control panel and allowed the GeForce Experience app to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X