No announcement yet.

GardenOfStone LEGO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These days there's nothing wrong with making something that's popular better. Especially when modified by somebody that really knows what they're doing and makes a strong point of not disturbing the original mappers' intentions.

Everything I've done to this was to get rid of clutter that worsens gameplay, connect areas that were previously not connected using jump pads or whatever else (aka improving flow), and providing more space to existing areas in order to allow for more comfortable movement. The lego theme was purely for the sake of gameplay as well. A lego theme allows a maps' gameplay to be boiled down into its simplest form. Lego is clean and without unnecessary obstructions.

What I did to this map was to honor it; Not to change what it is.
    And you can't honestly think you would be able to get a hold of a majority of these mappers after all this time in order to ask permission.

I busted my ass on this so that people could get more enjoyment out of it.
    It will be appreciated elsewhere.
    I don't appreciate your rude response. If anyone knows what's acceptable in level design, it's me; Someone with 13 years under his belt. You all should be thankful.

Comment

Minion gave you his honest opinion about how he feels about respecting other peoples creative property, and you respond with this crap? Perhaps your map will be appreciated elsewhere.
      Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Absolutely. I'm not going to shut my mouth when I went out of my way to do a favor for the community, and instead of appreciation I get convicted of being one of those people that goes and does modifications to a popular map just because they can't get noticed otherwise. The people that have no clue what they're doing and is the reason they did it in the first place.

I have made many great and loved original maps. I have my own game in the works. I didn't NEED to do this for people. But I spent my time on this side project anyway, to make the community a little bit better.

People can have their opinions, but whether he realizes or not, he set out to offend my credibility.

Comment

It has nothing to do with WHO works on another authors map, but the fact that they do it without consent. DM-1on1-GardenOfStone has had it's issues since it was created in 2003 by eByte, yet it is still the #1 most played map on our servers.

"Doing a favor for the community"? I suppose if the community you are a part of has no respect for an original authors work, then yes. This is not how OUR community works.

BullyBob spent the better part of a month contacting eByte and obtaining his permission to modify the original. Did you even know who the author was? Have you even tried to contact him?

I'm not out to offend your credibility, I'm out to let you know what our standards are. I'm sure you can find lots of servers full of knock off maps out there that will love your(?) new map. I will not host it on HTM servers for the reasons I mentioned below.

Comment

The fact that you would accuse Minion of setting out to offend your credibility shows you know NOTHING about the man or his intentions. He goes out of his way to give others the benefit of a doubt and has done more to support the community than any of us.

No one said anything about your abilities or skills. The issue is about respecting the work that others have done and respecting those that provide a fun place for all of us to play.

You have done neither.

If you feel that we are not respecting your work and all that you have done to help the community, then by all means go somewhere that does.
            Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Oh. You're still talking? I didnt attempt to reach out to the person that put together CTF-SpaceLego either for the textures. Take me to court.

Comment

Let's get something straight here. YOU came into our forum with a LEGO version of one of the most popular maps on OUR servers and when you don't get the response YOU want you then get an attitude?

I think it's great that you are still making maps Massacre, but be prepared to get some negative criticism along the way. If you haven't noticed we don't add every map ever made for UT2004 to our servers, and we don't do so for a reason.

I have great respect for the original map authors and their work. We have members here that are also talented with Unreal Editor, but before an original map is modified I have always asked they they at least ATTEMPT to contact the author for his consent.

Now, with that being said if you have any more smart ass comments please take them to another forum.

Comment

I know I'm getting to this dance a little late but it seems the HTM Clan holds all the coupons. If you won't put out the small effort it takes to track down the original author then it really doesn't matter how much effort or skill you have put into altering the map. It's an illegitimate version as far as we are concerned. And seeing as how these are Minions servers, he alone has the ultimate right to decide what maps go on them. The HTM 'tag' means something to us. Apparently something you will ever know or understand. Yes it took me about 5 weeks to track down the original author of GoS, Len Bradley. When I finally got a hold of him this is what he said;

"Hi, thanks for contacting me about the map and letting me know whats going on. I'll get right to the point and say... don't worry about it

"I really had no idea that people were even still playing my maps anymore and am glad that you and others are enjoying it. I checked out the version you modified and I like the additions you've made. I really wouldn't even mind if you were to finish it up and release it to the public... so go ahead if you'd like. Again, thanks for letting me know and don't worry about it at all."

I don't know how it would affect you but his reply made me feel good. GoS is the Gold Standard on our servers. Even my enhanced version doesn't get much play and that's okay because nothing beats the original GoS. You really can't perfect perfection. I've altered other maps as well. Some I obtained permission and some I couldn't. But I did try. My personal rule is to try to contact the author for at least 30 days, following all leads and where they take me. Contacting Les took 4 "connections" before getting to him. It was worth it.

While I would enjoy the mapping competition you would offer, after reading your very disrespectful replies, I personally wouldn't mind if you revoked your membership here and moved on.

With some respect,

~Bob
                  "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

Working...
                  X