Follow us on Steam Follow us on FB Follow us on Twitter Subscribe on Youtube

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some good info on tickrate, interpolation, lag compensation, latency, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good info on tickrate, interpolation, lag compensation, latency, etc.

The first link is an article on server/client interaction and explanation of terms. It was written about another game (not UT) but the fundamentals are similar if not the same. The second link is to a video showing lag compensation and why I think I hit you when in fact I didn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...out_tick_rate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwaW2iz4iA
    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

nice blues

Comment

lol
      Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
      sigpic

Comment

Ouch this is a good visual for you

Comment

Lag compensation = netcode. Great post, ty blues.

Comment

Worst thing about netcode is you get used to it. It's good for 1v1's and small player counts. But damn it unregs!

Ima write a server mod that dynamically changes tickrate/netcode with player count... mmm hmm... yessir.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~ZenEye
              Worst thing about netcode is you get used to it. It's good for 1v1's and small player counts. But damn it unregs!

Ima write a server mod that dynamically changes tickrate/netcode with player count... mmm hmm... yessir.

Not true, there are many factors that cause unregs, and many that help eliminate them. Serverside tickrate is a big one.

We run our server at 80 tick-rate. Do I think it's the answer to all our problems, no. Do I think it helps, yes. In 2004 epic made tick-rate default about 25. Servers were slower, players computers were slower, so it made sense. 12 years later we're playing on server 10 times faster, bandwidth in some cases 20-30 times faster and last but not least, your computer is much more faster. Higher Tickrate helps keep up with info (packets).

Originally posted by Tim Ford (Overwatch)
              Tick rate

Tick rate is the frequency with which the server updates the game state. This is measured in Hertz. When a server has a tick rate of 64, it means that it is capable of sending packets to clients at most 64 times per second. These packets contain updates to the game state, including things like player and object locations. The length of a tick is just its duration in milliseconds. For example, 64 tick would be 15.6ms, 20 tick would be 50ms, 10 tick 100ms, etc.
              I'm not saying this will eliminate unregs, it just helps the server do it's job more efficiently.

Things like server location, Chicago hub IMO is saturated, to full. We were in Dallas and felt that it was to saturated as well. So we moved to Denver. At Dallas we experienced many DOSS attacks because of the saturation. At Denver nothing in the first 2-3 years.

Due to the lack of saturation we were able to give our community a better experience.

Bandwidth
              I had 200 download and 20 upload, wow did this make a difference, my ping dropped to 30-35. Lag and unreg shots were rare, it was awesome.

Shared network
              I'm lucky, I don't have to share, but many people do. Sharing with wife, kids or roommates causes unreg if your gaming.

Routing
              Half your routing is your internet providers responsibility, the other half is the servers. Each connection has an approximate average of 7-10 hops (Locations) before reaching the the server. And that's only 1 way.

CPU + GPU
              Your CPU is very important to your gaming experience, but alone is not the answer. Now a days you need a great GPU (Video card) as well.

My point is there are many factors that can enhance and disrupt your gaming experience, or cause unreg shots. Netcode is not one of them. Netcode is specifically made to register shots when these other factors cause you lag problems. The combination of netcode and higher tickrate eliminate unreg shots, and helps keep up with the new tech. Default 25 tickrate has been left behind by every server for a reason.

Comment

AFAIK this is just utcomp 1.7 netcode pasted into tam.

The best thing i can say is " its better than nothing" like the team balance. It works... ok... sorta...

I like netcode, we all do, but it gives as much BS as it takes. 'Specially with flak/rox.

High tickrate 1v1 netcode is buttery.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X