Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol...I didn't say I don't use rox...I said I don't use rox exclusively like you fanboys...ROFL. As for nooks and crannies, I'm either gonna poke into them or spam into them...you pick!
    I'm not gay........but $20 bucks is $20 bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~BullyBob View Post
      Hey Born. Nice thread. I'm learning a lot

I've got a sort of techie question for you that I'm not clear about. I believe you when you say the game is played through the server but when we press "Join" we sometimes start to download all sorts of files, mutators, scripted apps, even the map we play on to our computers. Now, what would happen if someone were to alter a map for cheating on their side (client) and played that same map "name" in the game online. There would actually be two different versions of the "same" map. Can the game UT Client engine/UT Server engine differentiate between a map even if there are subtle changes made to it. (like doing a polygon count check or something). Just thinking...

Bob
      Bob-

Thats when you get a version mismatch error. All UT files have an internal hash to determine identical files. If you don't have the file with the exact hash, the server will push it. If you have edited "Map_a" and the server loads it's original "Map_a", they have different hashes, and it will make you download the matching server file. If you open a map in the editor and save it with NO edits, I believe it will change the hash and give a mismatch error if you try to play that map online. You can have multiple files with the same name (but different hashes) in cache, it's only once you extract and place them in your UT folders that they can be a mismatch. I'm not sure, but I think the file hash may be the name in the cache folder.

Examples:

0E315FCC46FC0E6E8B8E99AD2928E576-1.uxx
      1DFEA0BA4E9BDC22C99E32863E4D8A63-1.uxx

are both files in cache, and the name may actually be the hash. You could have two "DM-My_map.ut2" files from two different servers, but in cache they would be different names as above and could co-exist fine. IF you extract them and keep one in the maps folder, then one server you join will give you a "version mismatch".

-B
      1) It's not "Bunny Hopping", it's Red-Neck Dodging...
      2) I don't "SPAM", I use the randomized tactical deployment of munitions...
      3) If you don't like it - to bad, my bunny-hopping-spam will kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Born View Post
        Bob-

Thats when you get a version mismatch error. All UT files have an internal hash to determine identical files. If you don't have the file with the exact hash, the server will push it. If you have edited "Map_a" and the server loads it's original "Map_a", they have different hashes, and it will make you download the matching server file. If you open a map in the editor and save it with NO edits, I believe it will change the hash and give a mismatch error if you try to play that map online. You can have multiple files with the same name (but different hashes) in cache, it's only once you extract and place them in your UT folders that they can be a mismatch. I'm not sure, but I think the file hash may be the name in the cache folder.

Examples:

0E315FCC46FC0E6E8B8E99AD2928E576-1.uxx
        1DFEA0BA4E9BDC22C99E32863E4D8A63-1.uxx

are both files in cache, and the name may actually be the hash. You could have two "DM-My_map.ut2" files from two different servers, but in cache they would be different names as above and could co-exist fine. IF you extract them and keep one in the maps folder, then one server you join will give you a "version mismatch".

-B
        ~Born
        Thanks for the explanation. Much like players have their unique identifying code or hash I take it. I wonder if its possible that the hash code is assigned each time you cook the map. (If any changes were made). If a cheater could get around a mismatch error it could be a while before they could be caught. But that's only an advantage as far as the map goes. From what I hear there are a lot of hacks out there. Bob don't know nuthin' 'bout any hacks for sure.

Thanks again.

~Bob
        "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

The other part of the conversation is who's going to go to all the coding/other trouble to make a new cheat on 13 year old game with about 200 ppl still regularly playing it world wide...

UT99 has way more players than 2k4, and a better global netcode system.
          1) It's not "Bunny Hopping", it's Red-Neck Dodging...
          2) I don't "SPAM", I use the randomized tactical deployment of munitions...
          3) If you don't like it - to bad, my bunny-hopping-spam will kill you.

Comment

God forbid. You just FUCKING MISSED! Make appropriate adjustments. Netcode = shit. Latency = shit. Adapt. Or... STFU and GTFO! You're human! GET OVER IT!
            Nope.... nope...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lmFQsmDVCk
            Last edited by HTM~ZenEye; 05-14-2017, 01:28 AM.
            Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
            sigpic

Comment

Ok so I'm a day late and a dollar short VERY NICE WORK Born
              I know I tend to come off bit brash at times.... ok most of the time
              But from now on I will call you out and tell you to STFU quit whining
              from now on or until I get kick from T/S oh and Have A Nice Day
              DON'T WORRY FRAG HAPPY

Comment

Jajaja just saw this thread today. I know the feeling about questioning shots. But it's true what Born is saying. One thing I learned that helps me sneak in a quick LG shot is learning the maps spawning points and quickly aiming my LG in those areas for any movement when the match starts. Then I retreat to hiding and placing myself in "good" spots for more LG or shock sneak shots. Sometimes someone who gets hit so quickly might incorrectly think somethings fishy but it's not. So remembering spawn points help alot. RANKIN-map is a good example of that. Everyone usually spawns in the same opposing spots. So in the beginning of the match, you take out the lg....ALWAYS! Just place yourself in a spot where you can spam a spawning point area. But if you just run forward to your enemy with flack or rox...you gonna get hit with shock or LG early on trust me. Then when I get into close combat, I use spam weapons...because umm I suck at close combat..shh don't tell no one...The only time I rush forward is when I feel confident in a map. But I've paid the foolish price when I run into goo hehe.

Comment

you do realize this response did not win you any favors there, right Des? LOL FUCKER!
                  I'm not gay........but $20 bucks is $20 bucks!

Comment

Ah damn lol

Comment

Originally posted by DesTineD View Post
                      One thing I learned that helps me sneak in a quick LG shot is learning the maps spawning points and quickly aiming my LG in those areas for any movement when the match starts.

I was like OMG! Not Destined!

Comment

Jajaja ok ok you guys got me all figured out...

Comment

Thanks for the info Des. So much for spawn-in protection time. Now I'll have to use my 'Mocktar Invisibility Gaze'.
                          "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

Jaja eeeeeek!

Comment

Working...
                            X