GardenOfStone (Herc version) beta1 Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GardenOfStone (Herc version) beta1 Finished

It just broke my heart when I read Herc's post about how he absolutely hated the GoS map because he disliked falling (or getting knocked) over the sides and plunging to a quick, decisive and explosive death. Yuck! Dr. Bob figures that he must have fallen out of a tree when he was a little boy and still carries the awful horror of that day forever engrained in his being. In a recent post he was asking, no, pleading, almost begging, that if someone could help him out by altering the GoS map so that HIS anxieties can be addressed, he MIGHT play the map again. Not even mentioning that many others have fallen victim to the GoS "falling to a sudden death" syndrome. This proves that deep down in his psyche he won't let go of that fearful day in the woods as a young boy.

Well, it's all over now Herc (I hope) and Dr. Bob is going to try and address this and a few more issues with our 'nearly almost perfect" map, GardenOfStone. Some others are having "hanging up" or "sticking" problems also. I hope that any of you playing this beta version will note any places where you can still get stuck or whatever. Just post back here and try to be specific as to what and where.

First off, you may not even notice the visible changes that I made. I just raised the height of the wooden fences so that you can no longer just jump over them. You can still be "knocked" off with a shock combo or straight shot if you lift jump or jump pad jump and make yourself a target. Possibly even with a Shield Gun "bounce" in certain places, etc. There are a few other places that you could be knocked off also. You can still go over the side if you get to the top of the fence and don't watch out. I wouldn't advise walking on the top of the fence for very long if you are so inclined.

This one's for you Herc. Here's what I did:

~Raised the height of 23 wooden fences so that you can't just jump over them or be backed into them and through the act of jumping and/or dodging, accidentally go over.
    ~Added 5 wooden fence sections at some corners to help keep you from accidentally falling over in battle.
    ~Lengthened a couple of wooden fence sections to close off some gaps.
    ~Raised 23 existing fence blocking volumes to match new fence height.
    ~Added 5 new bv's for the new fence sections I added.
    ~Added a blocking volume (like an upside down bowl) to both Jump Pads to help the transition onto the pad.
    ~Added 2 small bv's to the sides of the upper Jump Pad to help the entrance transition.
    ~Rebuilt the bv's covering the stairs where the "tree garden" is to help with transition during battle. You can still get stuck somewhat in the tree limbs and rocks. But you can still get out I believe.
    ~There's a tree next to the stairs near the short tower that has "spikey" limbs overhanging the stair rails. I reduced the tree diameter by 25% and turned it so that the spikes are not as much of a problem.

That's about it. Minion has the beta map and I'm sure he will test it out soon. Please give me any feedback as to any "sticky" problems you find.

And if you can think of an appropriate name for the map let me know.

~Bob

BTW- This may not be the only fix in case many of you don't like the raised fences.
    Last edited by HTM~BullyBob; 05-05-2017, 08:59 AM. Reason: BTW added
    "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Thanks for the quick remake Bob, it looks great!

Guys and Gals let Bob know what you think. I played it and the fence height will surely keep players from accidentally falling off now.

I do however wonder what the fences used on the lower section would look like on the upper section too.

Compressed beta map and sent to redirection server. Added beta map to both Solitude and Sanctuary servers.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion View Post
      Thanks for the quick remake Bob, it looks great!

Guys and Gals let Bob know what you think. I played it and the fence height will surely keep players from accidentally falling off now.

I do however wonder what the fences used on the lower section would look like on the upper section too.

Compressed beta map and sent to redirection server. Added beta map to both Solitude and Sanctuary servers.
      Minion do you mean the tall fences on each end lower side? I'm sure that's what you meant. I thought about that but figured that might be going too far. But seeing's how you mentioned it...Herc beta2 on the way.

Comment

Per your request Minion. Beta 2 is finished and posted for you. It looks really nice. Here's what I did:

~Replaced the wooden fence rails with the stone fence sections.
        ~Re-adjusted the bv's for all changed fencing.
        ~Used some mappers magic to make some 2 foot and 4 foot stone fence static mesh sections. (There were only 8 foot sections available to re-use)
        ~Enabled LiftJumping for Bots on all 3 lifts. (Bots on our servers should LiftJump now to various locations. No, not up to the high tower. I could though...I think)

Hey Herc! I think you'll like this version. Let me know. (After all, you did issue a challange...ummmm)

Comment

Compressed beta2 map and sent to redirection server. Added beta2 map to both Solitude and Sanctuary servers. The bots being able to lift jump adds an additional challenge! I recorded the short video below so you can see the new fencing and the dang bot jumping from the lift.

Comment

Wow! Nice fight sequence Minion. That Bot jumped right in the middle of your shit. Poor Bot. Little does he know you been lift jumpin' since you were knee high. lol. I found a hang up at the back of the upper jumplift. It's my bad I think. I'll fix it asap.

~Hey, what version of TS do I need? I am still on v3beta36 I think.
            ~Can't remember how to make my player green either. Something I forgot.
            ~Hell you might as well tell me all the mods that I need to play now. Something else I forgot.
            ~I remember that I couldn't just launch into the game from our server page. I think I have that written down somewhere.

Are you sure you didn't speed up that video just a little? Damn...

~Bob

Comment

Just download the latest TS version from here http://www.teamspeak.com/downloads.html

The server will push all the mods you need, you can just add the IPs to your favorites in game. 72.249.10.39 = Solitude 72.249.10.45 = Sanctuary etc.

In game hit F7 to change skin colors, make sure you choose to use "enemy based skin color".

Comment

GardenOfStone-Hardcore-beta01 is uploaded Minion. Glad you like the acrobatic Bots. lol.

Here's what I did:

~Removed ALL fencing and bv's that went with them. Even the little fence up by the spikey monument kinda thingy.
                ~Had to lower the "death" volume on each lower end. Before if you even put one foot off there, Bam! Instant death.
                ~Fixed the upper jumppad sticking problem. You can slide against the wall backwards now and not get stuck.

Thanks for the other info. I kinda like uploading maps this way. Too easy. On me anyway maybe not on you.

Hey Herc! Old buddy. I would stay away from this version if I were you. (But don't dispair. Ol Bob has another trick up his sleeve just 4 u)

Comment

Compressed Hard Core beta map and sent to redirection server. Added Hard Core beta map to both Solitude and Sanctuary servers.

This is going to be fun, even the transporters are dangerous because you exit right next to the ledge.

Comment

Herc version... LOL - I'm honored. Gonna hafta fire up the game soon and try this fix version... TY!!! :}
                    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/0/herculon7.png

Comment

Herc. Glad to hear it. I'm working on another beta now based on the "HardCore" version. Probably the last card I have up my sleeve. This version will be the best of both worlds I hope. It is different. The playing ground hasn't been changed. Let you know when I post it up. Later.

~Bob

Comment

They all play well IMO Bob, can't wait to see what you conjure up next.

Comment

You know me Minion. I'll have a Space version of GoS before you know it. lol.

Herc ol' buddy you gotta like at least one of these concepts. Still some more work to do to pretty up the one you choose though. They'll play now but are a bit grungy. Personally I think you'll pick the GoS-SoftCoreH2O version. (The "H" stands for Herc). Its just like the HardCore version but you will not fall off and die. You will lose a few points of Shield and/or Health getting to the Teleporters. If you are very low in Health and get knocked off you are SOL.

Here's a couple of spin-offs from the HardCore version:

SoftCore-Lava

Exactly like the Hardcore version but with Lava surrounding the game map. The damage while in the Lava is set at: var=-1.0 point lost per second. This can be either Shield (1st) or Health. There are four JumpPads so you can return to the playing field. There is one Teleporter that will transport you back to the game...sorta...haha.

It looks a little cheap cause I don't really have the resources I need, or I may need to make them myself. Could be time a consuming project. But I kinda like the red lava against the green.

~I just added a bunch of stones to hide the edge of the map with bv's for all. And other stones and JumpPads, (and a Teleporter).
                          ~I still need to add a fog effect under the lava. Right now it's just clear.

SoftCore-H2O

Same as the HardCore version also but with with corrosive liquid surrounding the game map. The damage is set the same as the lava. There are four Teleporters located on the side walls of the game map structure just above the liquid level. They will teleport you back to the game through the existing Teleporters. This looks a little better and with some more time could be much better. This could be a viable spinoff.

~Same as above, ...eh... except Teleporters.
                          ~This one needs under liquid fog also. Working on it.

Still a lot of little things to do before I finalize a map or two. (I have my own map that's nearly 95% complete. Need to finish it also)

~Bob

BTW-There's an Easter Egg in both maps. Enjoy!

EDIT: There is one place where you will hang (its invisible) but you can jump over it. It is not in the regular playing field though. So will not affect game play.
                          Last edited by HTM~BullyBob; 05-10-2017, 08:50 PM. Reason: Bob forgot something.

Comment

I just loaded these on the two TAM servers. Both maps uploaded to redirect as well.

Thanks Bob, we will give them a test run tonight I'm sure.

*EDIT*

Played both tonight, very nice surprise you put in there Bob, made me stop and reminisce for a minute. I like the contrast of the red lava with the green map personally, but both were fun to play. A nice twist on the map IMO. Forgot to record video though, it was getting late and my brain was half asleep.

Comment

Working...
                            X