Unreal at 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal at 4K

I bought a new TV (I settled a case, that's all I can say right now, damned NDA) and built a new PC. The old one was 6 years old, so I went almost all out on the new one.

ASRock X299 Taichi
    Intel Core i9 7900x OC's to 5.2GHz
    64GB Crucial Extreme DDR4-2666
    256 NVM 960 EVO Ultra M.2 SSD
    5 x 4tb Seagate Baracuda's in RAID 5
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1080Ti SC2
    EVGA 1500 Watt SLI PSU
    Windows 10 Pro

65" LG Ultra HD w/HDR

UT2k4 actually runs at 4k. I figured it'd choke, but runs damned smooth. Hell, everything does.

I'm moving to a newer house across the street, so once I get my internet back up there and my office set up, you'll start seeing me again. Waiting on seeing an ENT for the ringing in my ears (no apparent hearing loss) and then a disability evaluation. Seeing as my shoulder surger was more invasive than planned, and the insurance DENYING appropriate post surgery therapy, my attorney expects a huge lawsuit. I'll believe that when I'm putting that check in the bank!

Looks like a sweet PC set up Batman.

Are you going to get a real monitor for it? That's a nice TV, but you'll be locked at 60hz refresh rate (even though LG markets it as "True Motion 120" and the input lag on most 4K TV are horrible. See chart below.

I also have a 4K setup, but not for gaming. The TV companies are very sneaky with their technical specifications. Luckily I did a lot of reading in a popular home theater forum before I bought mine.

Here are the specs for 65" LG Ultra HD below. 4K TVs can produce a beautiful picture (especially with the custom tweaked videos the manufacturers run on them as demo videos) but for me it's home theater use only.

Comment

Thankfully I researched mine I've got the LG 65sj8500 which is 120Hz and 240 for the TruMotion. Not sure on what the delay is, but it doesn't seem to have much when I compare it to my PC monitors.

I have noticed, over my 1080p LG 55 inch, I don't get eye fatigue when watching movies or playing XBox, so the 120Hz refresh is very nice. It supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR. The Dolby Vision HDR is a lot better looking than the HDR10, but both looke fantastic. I have an Onkyo TX-NR777 that supports Dolby Vision as well as Dolby Atmos. Freaking amazing sound.

Comment

You did buy an above average TV, that's good. Although it's never 240 Hz, it is 120 Hz with TrueMotion on. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65SJ8500-4k-uhd-tv You know if you have that TV professionally calibrated it will blow you away even more than it does now. Your room and environment usually does not suit the "out of the box" settings, I've seen some $700.00 TVs calibrated that looked better than some OLEDs.

I enjoy my setups too, I've kind of gone overboard after I set up the main room and put a 5.1 Emotiva/KEF system in my office and a 5.1 Pioneer Elite/KEF system in my workshop. Lately I've been gathering old 5.1 SACD and ISO copied of the same, then converting them to 5.1 FLAC so i can play them off hard drives on each system. I believe I'm up to around 60 Hi Res 5.1 albums now.

Comment

Nice!

Yea, I used to calibrate the TV's for Best Buy's "sales. You know, when they have a Westinghouse they need to get rid of a bunch of, I could get them to look like the higher end TV's. The problem is, I could get the higher end TV's to look even better.

I've got mine set up using a Datacolor Spyder5, borrowed from a graphic designer. Aside from a completely black screen and accessing a menu, it's picture is as clear as something you'd see at IMAX. I've got the Trumotion turned off and notice no trailing of moving images, even when gaming, so it's more of a sales gimmick than it was with the 60Hz tvs. I saw a few today that were on clearance with the 120 Hz Trumotion, and it actually made the image look smoother up close, but from a distance, the frame doubling kind of added a blur.

It's amazing though, just how bad some CG is now in 4k. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X