Server netcode...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesTineD View Post
    Now that I know how to back up and edit the files....do you still have that record of the pro gamers inis? I want to test their inis into my system folder.
    I don't personally have them, you can use the forum search function to see if they are still here, or G00GLE.

Comment

I believe they are in the downloads section in a zip file. (edit, they used to be anyways. I just looked and it's not there.)
      Last edited by HTM~YourImagination; 12-15-2017, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~YourImagination View Post
        I believe they are in the downloads section in a zip file. (edit, they used to be anyways. I just looked and it's not there.)
        I believe they were in the downloads section of the old forum. I didn't see any reason to save them at the time so they were purged.

Comment

as i can see this thread went into the right direction.

as pointed out lots of times on the server the netcode is quite good on unreal and doesnt rly disturb the gameplay much.

Minion said: "because the server connection gets overloaded as do clients with limited connections" - i think the times of overloaded connections are kinda gone, hardware went pretty fast also the connection bandwidths did raise compared to the years of 2000.

i sadly have agree that there are still many people with low DSL connections or doubled dial up ones where lags and warping are a matter of fact - mostly this is client side besides UT running on a server with slow hardware and connection.

as i can remember we been running our AURA Freon Server with tickrate 60 and game speed 90-120, 6vs6, that did do quite well - but the faster the game the more and faster it makes you tired.

these days and without practise id be lost in a too fast game.

by the number of servers HTM is hosting id setup one to test different speeds and tickrates and make people vote, thats what we did at AURA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HazeofSpace View Post
            Minion said: "because the server connection gets overloaded as do clients with limited connections" - i think the times of overloaded connections are kinda gone, hardware went pretty fast also the connection bandwidths did raise compared to the years of 2000.

i sadly have agree that there are still many people with low DSL connections or doubled dial up ones where lags and warping are a matter of fact - mostly this is client side besides UT running on a server with slow hardware and connection.
            I have DSL, there are no other options here except cellular which is much much worse. There are still limitations to connections depending on routing and the bottle neck that Level 3 can be coming into the data center. Raising the tickrate increases the data transfer that would only compound the current problem.

Originally posted by HazeofSpace View Post
            as i can remember we been running our AURA Freon Server with tickrate 60 and game speed 90-120, 6vs6, that did do quite well - but the faster the game the more and faster it makes you tired.
            We have tried raising the tickrate in the past and had poor results. It is fine 4v4 or 6v6 but at 7v7 players start complaining about warping and such.

Comment

About Internet speed and connection issues...

1) Latency is the issue NOT speed. Also, routers are not all equal in terms of packets per second they can handle which is MUCH more important that "connection speed" A connection of 3Mb can be faster than a connection of 50Mb if the router and latency are better.

2) The server ping in UT is calculated internally and is NOT actual ping - it does tend to be similar, but can be off quite a bit. I've had a sever ping of 80 and a real ping of 160. Hidden latency that "feels" off in game, and return trip latency or "lag" is the main culprit for seeing odd things like a player looking away and shooting you, or shots from behind walls - these are because your client is showing "old" position data and predictions on your screen that are inaccurate in the actual game (in server memory).

Under ideal circumstances, your computer is showing you a PREDICTION of player placement on your screen that is .25 to .5 seconds BEHIND the actual movement. If there is 100ms added latency at a bad hop, that grows to .5 to 1 second BEHIND. Computers do not "instantaneously" process, your computer and the server have to take in packets, process them, the application has to take in the data and act on it. That all takes milliseconds. They add up...

When I fire a shot my UT2004 has to process the shot, send the data, the computer transmits it out the nic to the server, which receives the data and sends to UT2004 on the server, which processes the shot, and sends the data out to each client... My mouse click to you seeing my shot is easily .5 seconds+.

Tick rate will not in any way alter the actual network latency. It will give you more updates, WITH THE SAME LAG. Packets are FIFO and don't "accelerate" via some mythical Internet magic just because you sent more packets. If you have an actual ping of (both directions) of 60, a packet at a tick rate of 20 will get to your system just as fast as tick rate of 80 - both will take 60ms. At tick=80 You will just get more packets that are all 60ms lagged in travel time. You will still get lag, "unreg's" etc... If your connection is not stable, it's conceivable you may get more artifacts at a high tick rate as you may get "bursts" of packets that are lagged in spikes. A low tick rate levels the playing field for lag/latency.

It's amazing this game works as well as it does with 14 people hundreds to a thousand plus miles apart each going through 5-10 computers to get back and forth...
              1) It's not "Bunny Hopping", it's Red-Neck Dodging...
              2) I don't "SPAM", I use the randomized tactical deployment of munitions...
              3) If you don't like it - to bad, my bunny-hopping-spam will kill you.

Comment

That was an awesome explanation Born. Thanks.

I'm still gonna bitch about Ilya and Foo though.....
                Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
                X