Follow us on Steam Follow us on FB Follow us on Twitter Subscribe on Youtube

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the difference between skins and models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference between skins and models?

I notice in alot of ut2004 websites that you can download skins and models...looks the same to me...anyone knows the difference?

Skin: Uses an existing UT2004 character body and adds a new look to it.

Model: These use a new set of textures and sometimes animation to create a totally new character.

Downsides to both:
    1. They will only work clientside unless the server has them on it and everyone else playing has it too.
    2. TAM will not allow any player skin or model changes, try it and it will make you a default character.

Comment

yeah people told me i had gorge instead

Comment

Destined, the Sniper server runs on a Death Match setting, so other models can be loaded and then skins added for them. I have the Marygold model installed server-side, which is a Female cat-like character. If I use it in the server, other can still see it even if they haven't installed it on their own computer but they can't use it themselves until they do so....does that make sense? Like the ninja skin you are using in the Sniper server, others can still see it even though they don't have it but they themselves cannot use that skin until the download the zip file and extract the files into their own UT2004 folders. There used to be a way to push models and skins from a server to whomever connected so they would then have them available for use, but it did cause some mismatch errors so not even sure if that's still possible.
        I'm not gay........but $20 bucks is $20 bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~FooFoo(Ack!) View Post
          There used to be a way to push models and skins from a server to whomever connected so they would then have them available for use, but it did cause some mismatch errors so not even sure if that's still possible.
          Foo, I have everything you need to push the "Freekboy" Necris skin pack if you want it. It's a pack of 9 custom necris skins. We used to use them when we played DM, but it no more worky with TAM.

Comment

Originally posted by DesTineD View Post
            I notice in alot of ut2004 websites that you can download skins and models...looks the same to me...anyone knows the difference?

Originally posted by HTM|Minion View Post
            Skin: Uses an existing UT2004 character body and adds a new look to it.

Model: These use a new set of textures and sometimes animation to create a totally new character.

Downsides to both:
            1. They will only work clientside unless the server has them on it and everyone else playing has it too.
            2. TAM will not allow any player skin or model changes, try it and it will make you a default character.
            The Model is more like Static Meshes and Animation, and the skin is more like textures. The Model is the "skeleton" the skin is literally like the skin. Generally you will see a number of skins that fit a single model. So when someone makes a skin, they first pick a model, or skeleton, as a framework to make the new skin over it. So a Skin is made to "fit" a specific model. In UT2004 as an example, Gorge, Reinha, frostbite and Archite use the same model. They will all move, act and shoot (visually, not accuracy) and taunt with the same movements as the model determines the look of the movement.

Skins will NOT effect (other than colors/bending) movement or hit box size. Models WILL affect movement but NOT hit box size. The hit box the same size for every model. Which DOES mean that the head "apparent size" will affect what seems like a head shot. You may seem to just miss a small head model and get a head shot, and you may seem to hit a big head model and not get a head shot.

Hope that helps.

-Born
            1) It's not "Bunny Hopping", it's Red-Neck Dodging...
            2) I don't "SPAM", I use the randomized tactical deployment of munitions...
            3) If you don't like it - to bad, my bunny-hopping-spam will kill you.

Comment

Working...
            X