This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Status Page ~VS~ Microsoft

I have spent considerable time trying to find an adequate replacement for the "Q3PX" server status page. I know you firefox users are wondering why, because it has never stopped working for you. I personally am an Internet Explorer user, I have tried Firefox and due to my own personal taste do not like it.

Soo..after trying several different methods to display server status, from "Server Spy" to a component for Joomla I have found out one thing... there is no page that functions as well as Q3PX.

I have decided to go back to using the plugin for our server status pages (both on the html page and the nuke page). I thought I would share the information I have found along the way that explains why the Microsoft update broke the plugin and what can be dome to rectify the usage of the plugin if your's broke.

First of all there is an explaination of the security update HERE. In a nutshell Microsoft lost a lawsuit regarding how it handles activex and other controls. The update made it so that if your webpage required this control you had to click a button to authorize it...simple eh? Well..not so simple for the Q3PX plugin. Being a plugin..it fell between the cracks and did not spawn it's authorization box, so it would never be turned back on after the update.

If you want to use IE and view the server page you can do this... remove the update. I have tracked down which update it was and successfully removed it from my pc here. The culprit is security update KB912812. I have seen no adverse effects from it's removal and my stautus page now works after being put to sleep back in April of this year by the update.

I thought I would share this with you guys since I really like using the page personally and I know some of you do as well.

~Min

Good work...Dective Minion at your service
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

Leave it to Micro$haft to bork a good thing up...

Comment

That's weird cause I don't have that update and still no workie.I show 911927 then 912919.
        sigpic

Comment

Go to C/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Plugins and make sure you have a plugin named "npq3px.dll" in there Freak. if it's not there or your operating system is not using the above path then click the plugin link at the bottom of the server page , save it do the correct destination. Or..save it anywhere and move it there.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion
            Go to C/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Plugins and make sure you have a plugin named "npq3px.dll" in there Freak. if it's not there or your operating system is not using the above path then click the plugin link at the bottom of the server page , save it do the correct destination. Or..save it anywhere and move it there.
            It's there.
            sigpic

Comment

What do you see when you load the page?

Comment

TS rotating and blank server boxes.
                sigpic

Comment

I found another work around for the KB912812 patch located HERE, although I have not tested it to validate the override. Give it a try as it is supposed to counteract the forced update.

Comment

Says version mismatch with internet explorer.I have xp pro sp2.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Freak
                      Says version mismatch with internet explorer.I have xp pro sp2.

Hmmm.... not good. You may need to use firefox until we can sort this out.

Comment

Weird,my firefox doesn't show servers anymore either.
                        sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the HTM tech support center...if it ain't broke now...it will be after we're finished.

Comment

Can't even download the plugin,says freshdownload could not take over the download.Went and uninstalled the dl manager and still get the same message.Fixed it,somehow I had firefox in 2 of my drives and it was running on the one without the plugin.(OOPS!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Do a system restore back to yesterday and try again Freak.

Comment

Working...
                              X