I've gone back to dial up internet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone back to dial up internet.

Ok, maybe not dial-up... Anyone need servers hosted???
    Attached Files

Originally posted by HTM~Batman View Post

Ok, maybe not dial-up... Anyone need servers hosted???
    Nope, I'm good.

Comment

I had a bad end on the fiber. Right after I posted, damned connection died. I can get almost a full gig upstream, but downstream I'm getting around 500MB/s, Minion, are you on Windows 7 or 10? I found out windows 10 reserves 20% of your network, which can be removed in GPEDIT.MSC

Upstream is more important for me right now as I'm streaming games through Mixer.com at 1080p, but thus far, I'm NOT happy with AT&T. It's just not consistent, especially given I'm literally the only person connected to fiber in a 4 miles in any direction, so I've got their support looking into it. At first, they tried to blame my computer, but when it happens on all my computers, including my Macbook, there's an issue when it's supposed to be 1Gb up and down. they are supposed to guarantee at least 75% of that, but I'm not sure if that combined or not. I also think I'm being routed from my home to a CO 100 miles away. Given that this is an old ass city, I'm sure they're trying to get the fiber in and will eventually put a head in here, but who know when that will happen. My ping is extremely low to nearly every server I test, yet the downstream is so inconsistent. Granted, it's better than cable at 130Mb/s down, but you'd think they'd be a little better on service quality. It's not unstable, by any means, but one second I'm downloading at 800+Mbps, the next 200Mbps. That's a huge difference.. Just to be certain, I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 with the aforementioned network reservation removed.

Comment

I'm running Windows 7, but that test was run on Windows Server 2008. Having fast internet doesn't necessarily mean good latency, we were just discussing that the other night in TS. My DSL speed here blows for downloading stuff, but my connection to the server is usually rock solid, and that is what matters to me. I hope AT&T (which a have personally cut all ties with due to crappy customer support in the past) gets you fixed up soon. I'm sure my little cabin in the woods will never see fiber, but I'm humbled to have DSL here.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion View Post
          I'm running Windows 7, but that test was run on Windows Server 2008. Having fast internet doesn't necessarily mean good latency, we were just discussing that the other night in TS. My DSL speed here blows for downloading stuff, but my connection to the server is usually rock solid, and that is what matters to me. I hope AT&T (which a have personally cut all ties with due to crappy customer support in the past) gets you fixed up soon. I'm sure my little cabin in the woods will never see fiber, but I'm humbled to have DSL here.
          New fiber run and I'm now getting 941Mbps down and 1146MBps up and a free month of service. Latency seems low, but then again, it depends on where I'm connecting to.

Comment

Sounds better, glad they fixed it!

Comment

May I ask how much per month is fiber costing you guys? I'm still considering switching to Jaguar Fiber but the cost is higher than I'm paying Charter for my cable service. I just want to see what the typical cost is for the service you guys are getting.
              Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Ouch. Sorry man.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Bluesman View Post
                  May I ask how much per month is fiber costing you guys? I'm still considering switching to Jaguar Fiber but the cost is higher than I'm paying Charter for my cable service. I just want to see what the typical cost is for the service you guys are getting.
                  $70 per month for att gigabit and virtually the same for google...

Comment

Working...
                  X