Do we like ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we like ubuntu?

I'm on an ubuntu live cd right now and I just figured I'd see what everyone thought about it. Plus I'm bored :P. Do we like linux? What are your Linux experiences? Pros and Cons? Other cool linux stuff?

Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!!!
    Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
    sigpic

First server I rented was a Linux server and it sucked.
    sigpic

Comment

I like Linux but Ubuntu isn't my favorite of the distros. To be fair I haven't tried it in a while but I hear the new version boots really slow.

For servers the best is debian

For everything else SuSe, Xandros, and Gentoo are all nice.

You can see screen shots of all flavors here...

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opens...ux/screenshots

$0.02

Comment

Oh yea looking at the screens jarred my memory.

Mandriva was pretty nice too, and if you don't hate evil giants Fedora Core is worth a look.

Comment

Actually its not to bad, its got a gnome gui so yeah its a lil heavy but it boots pretty quick. I just put it on my buddies laptop and he loves it. Only thing that sux is there is no "root" user acct. on the desktop version, you have to use sudo for all admin tasks. Feisty Fawn is worth a look, comes with 2 cool as matrix screen savers. If its free its for me, :P MS!
          sigpic

Comment

Almost every flavor I've played with has some type of matrix screen saver. LOL

Yes I like KDE myself but Gnome may be prettier in most cases. that sucks about the root stuff, I guess that's their way of getting you to shell out bucks for the next version up/non free version.

Comment

actually they say the next version is free and everything they make is free. I have feisty fawn and the next release is in October, which will be called gutsy gibbon. Apparently they give each release a different animal name lol.

Whole reason I started with unbuntu is i saw a demo of Beryl on youtube, makes vitsas aero look like childsplay and without the need for fancy dx10 hardware. Google ubuntu beryl and see.
              sigpic

Comment

I absloutely hated the non root on ubuntu. I'm a redhat/fedora fan myself. Fedora seems to be the most supported version, plus with YUM is is easy to get (most) extra software. Fedora 7 is really nice and rather easy to update. I just started using it, and with a little tweaking, got UT and TS to work perfectly on it. Anyone attempting to try UT with a typical Fedora 7 installation might want to hit me up on MSN or pm me here first. There is a little work needing to be done to make OpenGL work.
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

All you have to do is edit one file and set a password for root to enable the acct. again. Tells you how to do it in the man pages lol. Ill definetly hit you up when i download FC7, ubuntu seems like a good easy desktop os but i don't really like the server side so far.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~EyeCRy
                    Ill definetly hit you up when i download FC7,
                    Just a tip, its no longer called "Fedora Core", now it's just Fedora 7 May make it easier to find it and find help when you need it.
                    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

yay

On Fedora live cd right now, all is well. thanx for good dl location tip, it came in @ max speed. Linux rools lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X