Help with custom Zounds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with custom Zounds!

I'm having some troubles creating a custom .uax package for zounds on my little podunk server. I've followed the tutorial that came with Zound 5.1, but it's not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Give some details so we can better help you.

Comment

yeah...more info plz!!

Comment

You want info? I got your info right here...
        I've been running a UT2k4 server on an extra computer I have just to screw around on. I wanted to try installing Zounds on the server, but I didn't want to be cheap and use the HTM sound packs. As of now, I have compiled about 40 sound bytes (around 2 megs) that I would like to use for Zounds. The editing of the actual sound files is no problem for me, I just can't seem to figure out how to make a .uax package with them. I think it's UnrealEd that's screwing up because I follow the tutorial to a T and it just won't seem to create a new .uax package. So I guess a step-by-step walkthrough for dummies that actually WORKS would be nice, if anyone would be so inclined. :wink:
        Oh and BTW, is there any easier way to add all the triggers into the Zound.ini file? It seems like a heck of a lot of work to type them all in manually. Thanks again! :P

Comment

I had problems importing anything into UED for the longest time, until I added more ram to my gamer. That seemed to do it. What are the specs on your machine?

1-Sound files must be "8 bit mono WAV" format.
          2-Place sound files in the UT2004 Sound folder.
          3-Open UED, Open Sounds browser.
          4-Click: "File", "Import".
          5-Select the file to be imported.
          6-Name the package, group, & file. (Package name must be uniqe)
          7-Click "OK"
          8-Repeat steps 4-8

If you need I can take a look at a sound clip and try to import it on my machine.

Comment

I know when I made my first couple .uax files it was a nightmare. I have found a few things that mke the process much smoother.

#1 Before you import, make sure all your files are the correct bitrate. I use "PCM 8.000 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono" this provides a very small .wav to begin with and helps keep the overall size of the package as small as possible.

#2 Make sure these .wavs are in your "Sounds" folder of UT2004. UE will act like it can import from a different folder...but it can't.

#3 When you are importing use the player that is built in UE...if you don't hear the sound played by UE...something is wrong and correct it at this time before you import.

#4 When making my Zound.ini file...I kinda cheat. I use an ini from Zound46 http://www.clanfate.com/htown/index....le=Zound46.zip and then use the conversion utility in the new zound package to convert. Assraker may know a faster way to do this....

Can you tell us when things seem to go wrong? Does it import all the sounds into editor and can you play them there?

BTW the HTM packs were made for the UT community...feel free to use them if you want. Heck...at least I'd know a few triggers when I get there.

Comment

Ok, I converted all the WAVs to 11khz 8-bit mono and copied them to the UT2004\Sounds folder. What happens is I click on the speaker icon in UnrealEd which opens up the sounds window. Then I do File>Import and choose one of my sound wavs (as the tutorial suggests). Then I rename the package, delete the group name, and click OK, but it does nothing. The default package (2k4 menu sounds I think) just stays open. I have also tried importing all the files at once and also leaving/changing the Group name field, but no luck. I really hope this isn't a RAM issue, I have 512mb now, but it's crazy Rambus RAM, so I'm screwed on upgrading. If any of you want, I could send someone a zip file with all of the wavs and see what you can do with them. Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

That sounds like the same weird problem Lunch_Meat had. I don't think it's ram related because Lunch has 2 gig. Send me the zip @ htminion@houston.rr.com. Before you send make sure each wav is named the trigger you want to use and I'll be happy to compile the .uax for you.

Comment

Damn Min, you beat me to the nice guy punch. GG.

Comment

Cool...at my age I rarely beat anyone to anything.

Comment

Awesome man! As soon as I hone the pack to perfection, I'll send you that file. I just noticed I have no sounds for hello or goodbye #-o and some of the ones I do have need to go in the trash.
                      GG Min \m/ :wink:
                      Oh, and the psk boards (remember those?) are informing me that it's your birthday today, so happy birthday too! 8)

Comment

Thanks man... I need to stop by the psk boards when I get a free minute or two....it's been a while.

Comment

FYI, Minion & I found a bug in zounds51. If you have ANY "Admin Only" triggers, they MUST be at the end of the zound51.ini file. If they are anywhere else in the ini, several zounds in the list after it WILL NOT WORK.

Thanks for the help finding the bug Minion, I was beating my head against my desk for 2 days wondering why some of my zounds worked & some didn't (they ALL worked in Unreal Ed).

Comment

Thanks for creating the package for me Min, but... DOH!!! I sent you the wrong zip file :roll: The one I sent was kinda my "rough draft" compilation, but I have a new one now that actually has more sounds, but it's a smaller file. And they're all the same sample and bit rate. Most of them are the same, some are renamed, and a couple I removed from the first one. So... if you would be so kind, I could send you the new file to work with. Sorry about that!ops: I owe ya one!

Comment

lol...no prob man...send it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X