No announcement yet.

Linux [Mint]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started mucking around with Slackware Linux on x386 and x486 PCs back in 1992 or 1993 (I think) back in college as it was a suitably CS-major-geek sort of thing to do in my spare time (that and playing Doom when it first came out...lol). In grad school my advisor used SunOS and Solaris and I quickly started using Red Hat Linux at home since that's what the department recommended for installing on PC hardware. I used Linux all through grad school and now I use it almost exclusively where I work. I still need to work in XP and MacOS sometimes though and try to make sure my software runs in all 3 operating systems (Python is a beautiful thing) but Linux is where I'm most comfortable.

My favorite error from a Linux machine was: You don't exist. Go away. What happened was that the /etc/passwd file had become corrupted on the filesystem I was using and when I tried to execute a command, it tried to determine my UID but couldn't. Not knowing what else to do, it insulted me. I could just imagine the greybeard who wrote that thinking "this isn't likely to happen very often, and if it does the machine is probably hosed... I'll make the error message witty"

One final thought... maybe the installer had a few quirks to it, but I've been very happy with Ubuntu's ATI support in general. The drivers went in automatically on my laptop and they worked very well.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

how come the thread disappeared ?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------

"Fighting for peace is like Fucking for Virginity"

Comment

disappeared? its still here
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

Do you mean that it fell off the listing on the listing of recent threads in the HTM home page? I noticed that, too but I haven't thought of why.
          "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
          -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote
            Do you mean that it fell off the listing on the listing of recent threads in the HTM home page? I noticed that, too but I haven't thought of why.
            This particular forum section wasn't on the list for the "recent threads" on the homepage to pull from, but I did add it just now. I'm not sure what exactly he is referring to by "disappear".

Comment

lol, this if the first site where I'm participating in the Forum [trying my best actually].

when i said "disappeared", i meant to say that i couldn't find it. I'd usually click "Forum>Linux[Mint]"
              But yesterday, i did the exact thing but i couldn't find this thread. Hence, i thought it "disappeared"

But i just figured out the "show threads" section which was an unfamiliar action to me. so thanks for the help Minion.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofhearts
                lol, this if the first site where I'm participating in the Forum [trying my best actually].

when i said "disappeared", i meant to say that i couldn't find it. I'd usually click "Forum>Linux[Mint]"
                But yesterday, i did the exact thing but i couldn't find this thread. Hence, i thought it "disappeared"

But i just figured out the "show threads" section which was an unfamiliar action to me. so thanks for the help Minion.

I see now,you are talking about the "most recent post" for the forum section on the right side of the main forum page. If another thread in the same section gets a post last it will reflect that instead.

If you click "User CP" you can see a list of all threads you are participating in that have new posts.

Comment

I just check under my avatar on the main page for if there are any new threads and, if there are, click on the link to see them.

Minion, don't you have to actively subscribe to a thread to see the note about new posts in thread that you're participating in? I haven't subscribed to any by default and so clicking the User CP link doesn't show anything for me.
                  -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

You may be right Coyote, I was under the impression that any thread you reply to was "subscribed" to. I see threads under "User CP', but only the ones I've replied to.

I think the "New Posts" function shows any new post regardless if you are subscribed or not. I usually just open the forum main page and look for new posts there. We've had Vbulletin for a while now and I'm still trying to learn all the different functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote
                      I just check under my avatar on the main page for if there are any new threads and, if there are, click on the link to see them.

Minion, don't you have to actively subscribe to a thread to see the note about new posts in thread that you're participating in? I haven't subscribed to any by default and so clicking the User CP link doesn't show anything for me.
                      Ditto.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

Great if you have massive amounts of free time on your hands just to learn an operating system. I used to favor dos over windows. rofl...
                        If you want to watch a newbie middle aged drone flier crash a lot....
                        John Jones Drones on youtube. No sound yet.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT...4aMgNBFZK2NF4A

Comment

True, if all you're doing is working on it in your spare time. For me it was an absolute necessity as the work I was doing at my university pretty much required it. It's amazing how quick you can pick something up when you go for the "full-immersion" approach.
                          -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

Sigh....

Ok.. i need some major help..

I was extremely disappointed with ATI when i discovered that ATI has stopped Linux driver support for most of its Graphics cards. UT wont run at all with my current driver.

Currently I'm tired of Linux and want XP back. I have the genuine Window XP pro CD. But, the problem is, my computer wont boot into the XP CD. Furthermore, when i get to controls [BIOS], its some weird language [with English ALT letters....]. I need a way to overwrite Linux. Can someone help me?

Comment

Installing linux has changed your motherboard's bios settings page? I've never run linux, but that sounds awful scary....

Comment

Linux wouldn't overwrite BIOS. You can't navigate through the BIOS at all?

You have to somehow get your pc to boot from CD. Can you boot from a linux disc?

If the language thing becomes a problem you can reset your BIOS settings with a jumper on the motherboard. Please tell me you have your motherboard book? If not, its going to be a pain finding the BIOS reset jumper. If you don't have your book you might be able to find one for download on your motherboard manufacturer's website.
                                Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X