XP2008 Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP2008 Virus

please note this is a quote from somebody on another forums, im just posting it here for reference in case anyone here happens to need it

Originally posted by Paintball
    Hey Guys,

I just posted to notify you of a virus that is going around that is apparently called the "XP 2008 AntiVirus" This virus takes all your popular search engines (Yahoo, Google, MSN...) and turns their search results into ads. Heres an example.

1.)Google.com

2.)Search "UT2004 Patch 3369"

3.) (search result) "Download Patch 3369 here"

4.) Instead of it going right to the website when you click on that link it will go to "go.*.com (* = msn,google,yahoo) which will bring you to websites that are all advertisements for different things.

The virus also majorly slows down your internet (youtube didn't load videos) and it blocks any website that you need to use to help you. I typed "go.google.com virus" in msn search and it brought me to different downloads for good antivirus programs to fix it but the websites wouldnt load. The virus also blocked the common anti-virus major websites (Zone Alarm, AVG, HJT, Norton...). Oh, and downloads didn't work either.

I just spent all day removing this virus

The program that removed this "Malware" was "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" If you get this virus I recommend downloading this program as it was the only thing that found and deleted the virus. During the infection I had my firewall on max and the whole 9 yards but I still got it.
    Source

Thanks man

Comment

Who gets viruses anymore? Other than the occasional botnet I get from time to time lul but i'm

Comment

If you understand how these viruses propagate, then it is quite easy to get away with not even having a virus scan running. I have had my anti virus disabled for some time now. If you are wary about what you download and where you download from, you don't need anti virus running at all. I still have anti virus and use it to scan files I download, but to have it running all the time, when I know how to prevent infections in the first place makes no sense to me. Active scanning takes memory and processor time, and interferes with gaming, homework, and all other computer activities (looks to YD and his pr0n).
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Parlatz View Post
          If you understand how these viruses propagate, then it is quite easy to get away with not even having a virus scan running. I have had my anti virus disabled for some time now. If you are wary about what you download and where you download from, you don't need anti virus running at all. I still have anti virus and use it to scan files I download, but to have it running all the time, when I know how to prevent infections in the first place makes no sense to me. Active scanning takes memory and processor time, and interferes with gaming, homework, and all other computer activities (looks to YD and his pr0n).
          I agree, AV scanner and security software nowadays is awesome, but in some respect they have become what they sought to protect you against. Take norton/symantec for example, their software is so pro-active that with all the real-time scanners and system monitors it slows down your computer just as much as having a virus and/or other mal-ware would. Windows defender is another one, if it detects something that it sees as "unwarranted" behavior, even if it is a user action, it will block it.
          Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
          sigpic

Comment

I haven't had an antivirus running in the backround for the last 5 years ive been gaming on computers. I've had one virus, and that was from file sharing limewire, and thats only cuz i didn't have AVG free anti virus I got now. You down load rar files or zip only.

(viruses are locked in compressed files until you unzip them, and you can search for virii before you even open them) NEVER DOWNLOAD EXEs on file sharing.

You right click on the file, pick avg scan option. AVG doesn't have to run in the back round, just do that when you need to. I don't run ANY THING in the back round that's not absolutely neccessary, and as parlatz said if you under stand how these viruses get on your computer, you won't need to run much at all.

I don't even run a fire wall. I know a lot of people who go through massive precautions and still get viruses and spy ware. Like newbies who click on you have won ads....i mean cmon people, the millionenth customer 8 times a day?

You don't even have to deal with that crap in the first place if you got firefox.
            If you want to watch a newbie middle aged drone flier crash a lot....
            John Jones Drones on youtube. No sound yet.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT...4aMgNBFZK2NF4A

Comment

Firewalls block ports, that's all. You should tell your friend that travis, fire walling won't help against virii.
              sigpic

Comment

i havent had a virus since 2004....

and the virus i got back then was rendered unable to function since i had disabled the service it needed to operate off of

Comment

I haven't had a virus since I caught HIV, but my doc tells me I should be cleared up with that soon

Comment

Guys, I just got a fax from China. They say that the file needs more tests run on it. I think this is just a communist plot. We need to get confirmation from the president to fire the ICBMs, NOW. The virus is spreading more and more everyday. Stop downloading this file. We aren't sure what the virus does yet, but we think that on December 11th, 2012 it will become active and produce a mild EMP from the CPU of every computer it's downloaded onto. This will be like the Ice Age times 2. We cannot let this happen again. Just in case, start making mammoth spears everyone. I'll see if Cuba will assist us.

Comment

Moo, you never cease to make me laugh.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo
                        Just in case, start making mammoth spears everyone.
                        Great idea Moo, but don't forget the highly advance spear detection system they have in place. To thwart detection I have disguised mine as a curtain rod until the time is right.

Comment

Funk that shiz! The whole world is borked as soon as they switch this baby on!
                          sigpic

Comment

We need to send Parlatz over there to double check their math....

Comment

I disagree about Virus protection being turned off is fine. But coming from a Symantec user I guess I can see what lead you astray. Their are plenty of AV software out there way better than Norton, or Symantec. Hell even free ones. And most of them have a smaller footprint and impact on your system resources.

Even if you are "wary" it doesn't replace protection. That's like saying If I know a girl real well I don't need to use a condom because by knowing her from school I therefore know her entire sexual history.

That's just bad thinking. Number one you could get her pregnant. Number two people lie all the time, and you may think you can judge someone by their character. But people get fooled every day.

The same goes for viruses (except the pregnant part) this thinking that, "oh I'm perfect and I trust my sources where I download" is BS.

At the end of the day you're gonna do what you wanna do but I do NOT recommend running without AV. $0.03

Comment

Working...
                              X