No announcement yet.

PC Hosed again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ewrr, that nvidia firewall is a bitch, I've had trouble with that thing in the past. It's pretty secure but can be a royal pain. Whenever I do a re-install of nvidia drivers/software and that part of the install comes up i click "no" and don't even install it. You can install everything else but that and it will still work fine.
    Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
    sigpic

Comment

I had never seen it before, so when Hinge and I were installing drivers we thought "WTF.. it's Nvidia it must be good" so we installed it thinking it was better to use a firewall that was provided by the chipset maker.

Go figure....

Comment

yep had that same thought process... then i learned. I hate that stupid firewall.
        Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
        sigpic

Comment

I eliminated the new router from the network and turned off the Nvidia firewall... no luck. Seems to be doing the exact same thing. All downloads corrupt and UT DL from servers never seem to stop downloading.

Could it have anything to do with the avg anti-virus i installed? I does seem to be incredibly militant about scrutizing every single thing that requires info to be passed to or from my machine whether I want it to or not.
          "If you cant' afford to lose...don't bet"

"We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow worm."
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

I use the AVG free on a couple desktops and have never seen the issue. I think we need to remove your chipset drivers and reinstall, or update them if there are newer ones out there. Do you remember your motherboard model#?

You can always disable the AVG temporarily to check if it's the culprit.

I have more beer if you want to come over.

Comment

Hey, just as a general rule of thumb on stuff like this, if you're having trouble locking down the problem, pull all the nonessential stuff. Even the hardware. Then, if it works start adding things back in one at a time. If it still doesn't work then you gotta dig deeper. One nice thing about having extra machines around, I can test against other configs.

I know it's been a couple days any you guys probably got it figured, but I might suspect faulty RAM or incompatible RAM. From what I read it seems to have started with the new RAM. You might also suspect the network card if downloaded data is corrupt. Do you have an extra NIC somewhere that you can try?

Also another tid bit, I got sick of AVG's Nazi approach to anti virus. Recently have been using the Comodo Firewall/Anti virus combo. It still gives the occasional false positive, but you can ignore it easy enough. AVG would just hound me until I either got rid of the offending file or turned it off. Sadly no anti-virus is perfect.

edit: oh and dump your UT cache again for good measure

Comment

Working...
              X