Booting from USB (flash drive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting from USB (flash drive)

Ok so I'm trying to boot from my flash drive into Kubuntu I've failed 2 or 3 times :\

followed this http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-kub...using-windows/ It installed everything correctly to my 2gb flash drive so I'm wondering does my BIOS / CMOS / Motherboard support booting from the USB flashdrive because to me it seems like it just wants to go into vista. Ither I did something wrong or my flashdrive doesn't support this :\ EDIT: just tried FDD (fixed disk drive or floppy disk drive) Didint work

Did you try the "USB-ZIP" option?

Comment

Meh tried them all. I'm guessing my BIOS doesn't support it.

Comment

Me thinks if your bios didn't support it there would be no boot option for USB.

Comment

It might not support the boot loader version you have, like it might not like lilo or grub or whatever. You might need a msdos or generic cdrom/floppy boot image on there for it to mount and boot off the drive.

google it.
          Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
          sigpic

Comment

I have an MSI motherboard with the same BIOS settings and I can not boot USBs

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~ZenEye
              It might not support the boot loader version you have, like it might not like lilo or grub or whatever. You might need a msdos or generic cdrom/floppy boot image on there for it to mount and boot off the drive.

google it.

BLANKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion
                Me thinks if your bios didn't support it there would be no boot option for USB.
                Well it doesn't say boot from USB-flash. It says USB-FDD (assume Floppy Disk Drive attached via usb), USP-ZIP (ZIP drive attached via usb), and USB-CDROM (same as the others...just a cd drive). I would assume that it doesn't support USB flash drive booting.
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

Yeah what i was saying was get a generic CD or floppy boot image, it would be a small file that emulates a floppy or CD boot record. Also you might have to format it in fat16 for it to work. You have linux on a fat32 drive? Maybe you should format that drive from within linux and use one of its file systems. I bet there's even an app that will do what you want. http://www.linux.org/

There's got to be a way, there always is. My best guess is to emulate a floppy or CD boot image.

*EDIT: All that "create ms-dos startup disk" option does is copy 2 files to a floppy to make it bootable. IO.sys and MSDOS.sys, you might be able to make an actual floppy boot disk, then just copy those 2 files from the floppy to the flash. They are hidden files so you will need to have show hidden files enabled in windows. I have NO idea how to do that in vista lol.
                  Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                  sigpic

Comment

Do people still use Vista?

</end attempt to goat Vista users into tirades>
                    Something Clever Goes Here

Comment

Working...
                    X