My vid card has had it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vid card has had it...

I've been getting weird video issues on and off for the pass several weeks (see attachment). I kept an eye on the temp and it was not overheating or anything or throwing any errors in event viewer.

Anyway, it looks like it's had it. I get 1 long and 3 short beeps at bootup...i have to go see what the code means but im pretty sure its critical.

The card gets power, though i can't find my volt meter right now to verify everything's fine there.

I VNC'ed into the box just for grins to see if i'd get anything and i can actually see the hourglass (well, vista circle thingy) when i right click on the desktop....everything else is black. And i can see the mouse moving from the VNC viewer.

So, it looks like the card is half-dead. Even if i get it to work again it sure as hell wont be trusted. But, i'd like to figure out exactly what's wrong if i can before i get a replacement.

The card is MSI's implementation of the 8800GTX. Has anyone seen an issue like this before?
    Attached Files

I have, I used to get artifacts like that when I would alt-tab in and out of 2k4. Thankfully a driver update fixed it, i'm running ATI though. You could test the card in another machine, but I doubt it would do any good if you are getting beep errors @ POST. Oh well time for an upgrade!
    Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
    sigpic

Comment

my 7900gtx uesd do that

Comment

Ditto,my 8800 gtx had that exact issue,even a little worse but only in 2k4 and only certain maps.updated drivers was the fix for mine.There was an issue when these cards when came out,we had to run a tweak to get them to play 2k4.Once the driver issue was fixed I had to get rid of the tweak to make it run right.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~ZenEye
          Oh well time for an upgrade!
          Yeah. Im hoping to save this puppy though...might be a lost cause but if it had died outright, it would have been in the trash already.

Driver updates didn't fix weird artifacts but it looks like something else killed the card

Comment

Originally posted by Freak
            Ditto,my 8800 gtx had that exact issue,even a little worse but only in 2k4 and only certain maps.updated drivers was the fix for mine.There was an issue when these cards when came out,we had to run a tweak to get them to play 2k4.Once the driver issue was fixed I had to get rid of the tweak to make it run right.
            I never had to do a tweak as far as i remember. But then again, i dont remember much pass last Tuesday

Comment

1 long, 3 short beeps = Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)

Comment

These were the tweaks,just in case.

http://www.h-townmadness.com/forum/s...ght=Video+card
                sigpic

Comment

if interested, i have my 8800 gtx sitting here from when i built the new box,
                  could be yours if the price is right

pm me if yer interested in it or anyone who may be interested pm me

its an nvidia 8800 gtx 768m with an aftermarket cooler on it that looks like a Hyundai radiator heh
                  -----

ScRiPt3r aka W@RpY aka WTF\ever aka Fl@cWh0r3 aka Player174a.c2 aka Fr33_Adr3n aka ...

oh hell..

just call me Ale.E.Ass3r!

Comment

Skank is looking to upgrade his card,he might be interested in an 8800.He said he'd be on tonight.
                    sigpic

Comment

I use two 8800GTX's in SLI and I have not seen that issue, although I seen it with my previous card and like the others, driver updates have fixed it. I would go into your nVIDIA control panel and make sure to select "Let the application decide" option for how graphics will be used. Maybe if you customized your settings (making values too high or overclocking in the control panel) UT might not be able to handle it. I noticed when I changed the values myself, while newer games ran great, UT would run in "Slow mo" so I just revert the values back to factory and everything was ok. You may even want to try to re-install the latest driver from nVIDIA located here http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...0.38_whql.html (32-bit) or here http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...0.38_whql.html (64-bit)
                      sigpic

Comment

kewl

i'll have to try to pop in if im not out running calls..

i get to cover this weekend since poor mike had to cover for me while i was gone for 10 days heh
                        -----

ScRiPt3r aka W@RpY aka WTF\ever aka Fl@cWh0r3 aka Player174a.c2 aka Fr33_Adr3n aka ...

oh hell..

just call me Ale.E.Ass3r!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion
                          1 long, 3 short beeps = Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)
                          There you have it...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Freak
                            Skank is looking to upgrade his card,he might be interested in an 8800.He said he'd be on tonight.
                            I'll let Skanky have first dips on that card Warpy. Im not entirely sure how i want to proceed yet.

Thanks for the offer though.

@freak, thanks for the tweak.

@ Phoenix, I did try removing the drivers and installing a fresh copy. The issue was just so intermittent. In any case, the card is down hard now so those tweaks aren't gonna help

Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

Good luck fixing this Massive,
                              We'll miss you in the servers :/
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------

"Fighting for peace is like Fucking for Virginity"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X