My first try at a Pc Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first try at a Pc Rig

Hi guys I have been reading and getting advice from multiple sources about what parts to buy. Thx to GoatBoy who got me started and others for great advice I believe I'm on my way to creating a very Powerful rig for a mind blowing price. Below is a list of what I have already purchased and or Ordered.

The Parts:

Hitachi 160GB UATA/100 7200rpm 8MB OEM Free Shipping
    not the best but fits the budget. plus I'm gonna do a raid setup
    (QTY=2,price=150.00)

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black OEM(QTY=1,price=39.99)

[PW] Epower TAGAN 480W ATX Power Supply For P4,Xeon,AMD
    (QTY=1,price=74.00)

Black Lian-Li Aluminum CS-PC-V1000B
    (QTY=1,price=179.00)

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Model #: A8N-SLI Premium
    (QTY=1,price=$176.00)

XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail Model #: PVT70GUDF7
    (QTY=2,price=$762.00) 'Will ad second card once UT2007 is released.'

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail
    Model #: CNPS7000B-ALCU
    (QTY=1,price=$32.99)

Linkskey LKA-CR15B 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Black Card Reader/Writer - Retail
    Model #: LKA-CR15B
    (QTY=1,price=$14.00)

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail Model #: TWINX1024-3200C2PT
    (QTY=2,price=$123.00)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail Model #: ADA3800BVBOX
    (QTY=1,price=$374.00)
    No matter where WE are WE are always connected.

I been hearing a lot of stuff about how people think they will need two graphic cards. You do not realize the power of a 7800 gt it is made for the next generation of gaming. Its made for ut2007. You see all them screen shots? They have many graphical features like Painkiller : Battle out of hell expansion had. In the screenshots antistropic filtering is on. Bloom effect is on. Warp effects are on. You could always get some ram over clockable for 600 MHz, and some liquid cooling to have just enough power to run all of those "extra settings" Over clocking with liquid cooling, and geforces built in software is hella easy, and VERY safe. We been doin in for 2 years over hear on hella geforce cards. I dunno I personally think Bloom is ok but it will drop framerates like 40 to 60 lol. Sure looks cool on the screenshots.

My dad told me that if I get that ram made to go 600 mhz then I can stably over clock to way more than with my 400 mhz over clocked to 440. Athlon and geforce are an awesome combo for that if you have the right ram, and motherboard. It is safe cuz geforce includes software that lets you test different settings to see if they are safe.

I do really doubt that you will need another graphics card. You got 18 pipelines dude. or is it 24? SLI rocks. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the new ut2007 is a combination of doom3 and painkiller BOOH effects. Sure looks like it.

I personally think the ut community is jumping to conclusions. I see people getting double cards and processors, just for ut. It isnt even out yet I tell them, just relax and wait. lol Prices will drop on every thing by then. In five months, prices could drop massively.

if you want to know how to make an XP computer hella faster, btw. Learn some tweaking too. www.tweakxp.com

It runs programs in the backround that are useless. When you make the transfer to XP, theres alot of things you will want to turn off to reach the full potential of what you have.
    If you want to watch a newbie middle aged drone flier crash a lot....
    John Jones Drones on youtube. No sound yet.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT...4aMgNBFZK2NF4A

Comment

Awesome UM I will definitely wait to buy that second card now, I was gonna get the dual 6600 or 6800 cards before that one but after reading the specifications of that 7800 GT I was stunned, so it became the clear winner. I chose all these parts in hopes of making it very easy to overclock and be compatible with parts that are gonna be released for the next couple of years.

Comment

Yeah man, you have to edit the registry or get a special program to over clock for nvidia though. As soon as you get it, just lemme know if you wanna know how to enable it. Get a decent liquid cooling kit though! Over clocking with out it, I do that but with that much money in it it might be smart. They are any where from 100 to 300 bucks. AMD 64's RUN HOT. My 3500 is overclocked to 2.2 Ghz with out cooling though, and works great. You are gonna love the SLI 7800 GT omg. And that 3800 with the cache its got, oh yeah.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121121

280 Watt speaker system that I have. Sounds like way more than 280 watts. $138 Bucks? Omg should cost more. They have the 500 watt ones too. even in a big house, the 280's absolutely rock, and shake on bass.

My dad surfs ratings sites all day I have to hear about parts constantly. lol
        If you want to watch a newbie middle aged drone flier crash a lot....
        John Jones Drones on youtube. No sound yet.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT...4aMgNBFZK2NF4A

Comment

Thats Kick ass UM awesome to have a dad like that and hell yeah I'm gonna post step by step on the site to make sure I'm doin right. I already have a kilpsch system and I use my head phones mostly.

Comment

Have you already purchased the Corsair XMS ram Zat? I have an Athlon 64 3500+ system and I initially put 1GB of Corsair XMS ram in that system. Even though the advertised ratings on the memory was CAS2, I couldn't get the ram to run stable at that. I had to set the ram to CAS 2.5, and even then it wasn't totally stable.

I replaced the ram with some OCZ Gold VX ram and the system has been rock solid ever since. The OCZ Gold VX ram can take higher voltages and is designed for and tested with Athlon processors. I am currently running my ram at 2-2-2-6 timings at 3 volts, and it is rock solid.

I ended up putting my Corsair ram in a server where speed wasn't as important.

Incidentally, other good ram to look into is Crucial Ballistix and Mushkin Red Line series ram.

BTW...I have a Klipsch speaker system as well... it's the 4.1 system with 400 watt dual sub. Very nice. Those Logitech's are also quite nice.

Comment

Yeah I have All the stuff from newegg will be here this week. But I may have a slight weight on stuff I ordered from elsewhere. GB Is your RAM a set of 2 sticks = 2 gigs? I ordered 4 sticks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...50#DetailSpecs I hope I don't run into that problem. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by ZaToichi
                GB Is your RAM a set of 2 sticks = 2 gigs?
                No, I have 2 X 512MB for 1GB total. I may add another gig of ram in the future, but for what I'm doing now with the system, I wouldn't really see much benefit from the extra gig of ram.

Comment

I run Corsair XMS LLpro at 2-2-2-5 with no stability issues at all. Kinda funny come to think of it...I had issues with OCZ..lol.

Comment

Ya, this was my first try with OCZ ram. I got the tip from Headshot, who apparently got the tip from the DFI support web site. They were saying the OCZ Gold VX was the best suited ram for Athlon 64 chips on DFI boards. Not sure how it applies to other motherboards.

About the only ram that I've used with absolutely no problems at all is Mushkin.

Comment

I'm still using Intel's chips...Maybe one day I'll build a 64bit system. But as long as I keep good framerates with this one..I'll wait. 8)

Comment

I'm Curious Minion what frame rates do you get?

Comment

Well guys I forked up da dough and bought a second 7800 GT card and also and I went ahead and bought the Lian-Li PCV1000B http://silverpcs.zoovy.com/product/CS_PCV1000b. I guess I'm greedy and now broke.:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by FhaeTon
                            I'm Curious Minion what frame rates do you get?
                            I average between 70 and 85...depends on my settings, and of course the map.

That's a sweet case man..I have a Lian-Li PC-70 and love it.

Comment

KoooL Mannn, I was wondering cause you are fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X