OMG! PC Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! PC Software

I went to the store to day to get a copy of Win/Linux UT2004 and boy was I surprised as I looked at the specs on UT2k4 on the box. I guess I now realize what type of power I'm gonna be dealing with. :twisted: Another thing I learned from the box is I have a choice to make now about running WindowXP PRO or LINUX 64. On the box it stats Linux but has this (Linux version not supported by Atari) on the box. :roll: Does this mean it will or will not run? I much rather try running Linux due to my unfamiliarity with WinOS. Does anyone here run LINUX?
    No matter where WE are WE are always connected.

Newer distributions of Linux are pretty good, but it will probably be somewhat trickier to get UT2K4 working on Linux than WinXP. If you are going to be playing ONLY UT2K4 on this system, then going through the hassle of getting it to work under Linux may not be too bad. However, if you want to be able to try out other games, I would recommend sticking with WinXP. There are many more games and other software available for and supported on WinXp than there is for Linux.

BTW, I think LinXG (Linux Girl) has some experience running UT on Linux, and possibly SubSolar may be of assistance as well.

Comment

The performance gain of running UT2K4 on a Linux system is currently not noticable except on "paper" so to speak. You will not tell a difference.

Not worth it, IMHO. The benchmarks show only a slight gain.

Comment

I don't mind a little trouble getting it to run there seems to be Pounds of info on the web. I registered at the site http://www.linux-gamers.net/ and joined the forums they seems to have an ample amount of info, I already started posting there. I have some time before all the parts get here so I'm going to read up and absorb as much info as I possible can. The only games I'm really looking to run Are UT2004/7, Quake4, Homeworld2, Planetside and Matrix. At the moment just UT2004 and I'm betting that Linux64 is gonna grow fast. I got a feeling about that OS.

On top of that I need to learn more about the PC side and this will give me the chance to get my hands dirty.

Comment

Why winxp pro? It has features that most of us would not even use. I've used both, I barely see a difference.

Stick with XP imo. Just about any one will tell you that. Unless you like to tweek for hours on end, and go nuts over simple things you could have easily done on XP with the same end results.

Oh yeah, they have a XP 64 too, but it has a huge lack of support right now. Also, no games currently run in 64 bit mode any way. Wait is farcry 64 bit upgrade out yet? I need to check that out.

I've been using computers since I was 5 and since windows has come out, I have never seen any use for any thing else. You could go and learn all of that confusing linux stuff, but you can do the same things with win XP, and its way less hassle. aka learn more useful things. I dont know, it's just my opinion though.
          If you want to watch a newbie middle aged drone flier crash a lot....
          John Jones Drones on youtube. No sound yet.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT...4aMgNBFZK2NF4A

Comment

Farcry is 64 it comes with my 7800gt card, so I have two copies since I order the cards back to back.

Comment

cool man, thanks. I own farcry my self...so the 64 bit upgrade is free. I will have to run my FREE copy of 64 bit windows to work it though. (microsoft gave to me while it was in testing) I will run 64 bit windows on one drive and regular on the other! (64 bit windows is too buggy for me to run every thing on it)
              If you want to watch a newbie middle aged drone flier crash a lot....
              John Jones Drones on youtube. No sound yet.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT...4aMgNBFZK2NF4A

Comment

The WinOS wins for now I will purchase a copy of XP Pro 64, but I will run Ubuntu or Gentoo on a second drive. Better yet I'm gonna build a separate box for linux until I get it done, I don't want to interrupt my game box until I'm ready.

Comment

Banned SOB....

/Admin

Comment

I SAID GTFO MY INTERNETS

Comment

Working...
                    X