Follow us on Steam Follow us on FB Follow us on Twitter Subscribe on Youtube

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keyboards, mice, meese, and phone service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboards, mice, meese, and phone service.

There have been a few discussions about keyboards and mice lately on TS. With all of the bitching, complaining, and whining in game (and that's just me!), it's hard to hear a lot of the advice being doled out about what some of the guys are using. Here is what I'm using now.

Mouse/Mice/Meese - Logitech G9 - Changable grips and weights make it easy to customize. I've got the matte finish grip on it and two 4G weights in the front pockts which is pretty light. I hold my mouse with my thumb and pinkie so the lighter weight is better for me.

Keyboard - Steelseries Merc Stealth - This is actually the second Merc keyboard I've purchased. The first one which was made my Ideazon lasted about 4 years. The second one is greatly imroved with backlit keys, a VERY heavy weight to it, and extra USB ports in the back. The weight of this thing means it doesn't move at all, even when I'm pounding on the keys after a particularly skillful shot from Khan. The game pad on the left side is perfect for the way I play. The keys are larger and all are programmable if you want to bind weaps to them. A few months ago I broke a couple of the key caps on the direction keys and contacted Steelseries. They sent me new caps for the price of shipping which was only a few bucks. For those of you that say you could never get used to a gamepad such as this, it takes about a week to get used to it. After that, I don't think you'll go back.

headset - Razer Carcharias - Soundwise these are pretty good. I picked them up on a clearance deal when CompUSA closed thier store here so they were cheap. The Steelseries 5H V2's I had were more comfortable, but the Razers sound better.

Phone service - Ooma - OK so this has nothing to do with gaming, but I've been using this for a year now and am damned impressed. Ooma is a VoIP system that consists of a console that you buy and connect to your Internet connection. The console costs under $200. If you want to port your old number over to them it's another $40 I beleive. After that the only fees are the gubmint fees that all carriers charge. My bill runs about $3.75 per month. Call clarity is great and I just plugged my cordless phone into it and use throughout the house. Includes call waiting, forwarding, caller ID, voice mail, etc. If you want the premium service which adds a few more features and gives you a second line it's about $120 per year extra. The voice mail can be accessed from any PC if you are away. A buddy of mine is using the Magic Jack and says it is cheaper, but the Ooma does not need to be connected to a PC to work and the console accesses all of the VM features. My wife likes the Do Not Disturb button that shuts down the ringer when she takes a nap!

www.ooma.com

Blues
    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

I'll add my stuffs here...

For aiming, shooting and general looking around I use the Logitech MX518. I have had 3 of them over the years and have had no complaints. I do a bunch of PhotoShop stuff in my spare time and the high end sensitivity setting is great for that.

For the key under the fingers I use the Logitech G110 keyboard. I know a few of use this one and it works very well.

For my ears I go cheap. I use a pair of Walmart snagged Logitech cheapies. It works for me. 9 times out of 10 I am chatting away anyhow. Whether it is on TS or Skype or Steam.

.:Q:.

Comment

I will never get past my 518 mouse,tried several others but always come back to it. I also use the razor head set,is awesome. My keyboard is from Alienware, enjoy changing the lighting and super easy macro's.
      sigpic

Comment

Have the same as Q, except for the headset. Headset is a Sennheheiser.
        B.O.L.O.G.N.A.

Comment

Been using this mouse since UT99. Microsoft optical trackball.

This keyboard. Logitech Elite.

And these headphones. Logitech AHS-502

Save Lives By Day : Frag Em At Night

Comment

This is what i use
            Mouse Razer Deathadder 3500dpi
            [media]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/057/a/3/razer_deathadder___3d_by_kyckling-d4r2lf4.png[/media]

Keyboard Logitech Dinovo Edge. Bluetooth and can hold a charge for a month or 2.
            [media]http://img.gfx.no/199/199919/i_199919.jpg[/media]

Headset Agama A-500 Cheap headset - Do not buy!
            [media]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B7TnQpc2L._SL500_SS500_.jpg[/media]

Comment

I use a G9 mouse same as you except I don't use any added weights. My sensitivity is pretty darn low for UT (400 dpi and .25 in settings for UT) so it helps to keep it light for all of the sweeps I have to do to move the crosshairs to the target. As far as the settings for the Logitech mouse, I don't use any acceleration or any other special features.

As far as keyboard, I use a Nostromo n52 TE for shooters. I learned on it because the old schoolers I used to play UT with used them. I really like it and it is comfortable for me. I don't use any macros or special keybinds on it except for rez which I have a macro for but in the middle of a game I usually perform necro manually.

As far as headsets I only have a cheap Wal-mart one so no need to even post a pic of it.

Mousepad I use a Xtrac Hybrid but have been playing on a Thermaltake Dasher lately. Both are pretty big mousepads and are necessary for low sensitivity for large mouse sweeps.

N52 TE

Xtrac Hybrid Mousepad

Thermaltake Dasher

sigpic

Comment

Here is everything(almost):

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750
                COOLMAX|CL-700B 700W PS
                AMD|ATH II X4 630 Prosper AM3
                16G 4Gx4|G.SKILL Quadl Channel DDR3 1600
                320GB|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS
                NZXT M59 Gaming Case
                MSI SATA DVD-R
                eVGA GTX 550Ti 1gb
                WIndows7 Ultimate64
                G100 Logitech Gaming Keyboard
                Razer LH Deathadder
                Razer Carcharias Headset
                Razer Goliathus Mousepad(medium)
                Sceptre 22"NAGA 1080p

DIE STEAM DIE!

As far as home phone goes, I only have cell's and my work VOIP.
                Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

My toys,well,lets see.I use the Nostromo n52te, the Lofitech G510 keyboard, and the MX518 mouse. No headphones for me, I have a Logitech 5.1 surround. I use the headphones for the mic when I get on TS,which we all know doesn't happen often.
                  In Memory of Anna Dixon
                  Aug. 31,1964 - Dec. 6,2012

Life is just an illusion,so,enjoy the ride while you can.

Depression sux.......but the drugs are good.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~olde_tymer
                    I use the headphones for the mic when I get on TS,which we all know doesn't happen often.
                    Now THERE'S an understatement! I don;t think I've ever heard you on TS.

Or Khan either....although maybe that's not a bad thing

Comment

FU,Blues
                      In Memory of Anna Dixon
                      Aug. 31,1964 - Dec. 6,2012

Life is just an illusion,so,enjoy the ride while you can.

Depression sux.......but the drugs are good.

Comment

I use a Pentium 386x with 256KB of RAM
                        My Monitor is an old tv that I hooked up using an adapter and some old spliced wires... but actually, the monitor on my wife's laptop went out so I had to give her the old tv and now I can't play unless I play by feel.
                        I don't really use a mouse... well... i do, but it's an actual mouse.... it trades off between helping me aim and running in the little wheel which double's as my Power Supply
                        I'm not too sure what my keyboard is as it has so much tape on it now to hold it together.
                        Parlatz and Old Timer gave me some video cards, but my 386 doesn't have PCI so I had to adapt, solder and wrap some duct tape around it to get it to work.... I see at least 1 out of every 10 frames now!
                        I have a floppy drive, so every time I play UT, I have to load 12 disks first. They take up most of the 256k RAM
                        My headset is known as the "shoutrealloud". Its an off-brand

That's it.... and if you don't believe any of this... attached is a picture of my actual gaming "station". Notice the missing old tv. I hope to play again by 2014

Something Clever Goes Here

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|YellowDog
                          I use a Pentium 386x with 256KB of RAM
                          My Monitor is an old tv that I hooked up using an adapter and some old spliced wires... but actually, the monitor on my wife's laptop went out so I had to give her the old tv and now I can't play unless I play by feel.
                          I don't really use a mouse... well... i do, but it's an actual mouse.... it trades off between helping me aim and running in the little wheel which double's as my Power Supply
                          I'm not too sure what my keyboard is as it has so much tape on it now to hold it together.
                          Parlatz and Old Timer gave me some video cards, but my 386 doesn't have PCI so I had to adapt, solder and wrap some duct tape around it to get it to work.... I see at least 1 out of every 10 frames now!
                          I have a floppy drive, so every time I play UT, I have to load 12 disks first. They take up most of the 256k RAM
                          My headset is known as the "shoutrealloud". Its an off-brand

That's it.... and if you don't believe any of this... attached is a picture of my actual gaming "station". Notice the missing old tv. I hope to play again by 2014

Oh you! Love the old bag of lays potato chips in the corner. Gamer food FTW!
                          Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                          sigpic

Comment

My mice allways have to be logitech mx3000 keyboard set <<<im not picky and for my setup for mic its my recording equipment 5 channel mixer by radio shack and a tube ultragain mic200 phantom amp and a shure microphone :P <<< now im picky on that shit !

Comment

After pretty much wearing the woodgrain off of my Formica desktop from not using a mousepad, I finally broke down and bought one. Because I don't have my mouse set for high sensitivity, I needed a bigg-a mous-a pad that doesn't move around. This one fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=45

Don't know if it wil help my aim, but at least the desktop will hold up better!

Comment

Working...
                              X