Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth it?

Ok so I was thinking of upgrading my PC as far as memory goes. I currently have 6 gig and as I update programs and such I am starting to feel the lag. I wasn't for sure exactly what my mobo would handle as far as maximum ram. I used CPUID and found my mobos info and googled the info. Come to find out, my system can only be upgraded to 8 gig.

Do you guys think it is worth spending money on 2 gig of memory? Am I really going to see a big difference?

Thanks all...

Mr. Dangly

...pretty serious. It's difficult to tell how much or how little impact it would make. It all depends on how many programs/processes you're running at any given point. I ran 6 gigs of RAM for a long time and upgraded to 12 gigs. In my case, there wasn't any difference on my machine that I can tell. I'm sure there are other ways to tell, but one thing you can do is run all the programs that you anticipate using at one time, while they are running, check your RAM usage and what is available after everything is running by using task manager. You'll see how much memory you are using with a full load, and how much memory is left over. If after you are running a full load and you have very little RAM left to spare then it may be worth upgrading. If you have 1 or more Gigs of RAM still available after a full load then it may not be necessary to upgrade. (See attached pic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-23_153656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	58613
    sigpic

Comment

from a redneck point of view I was always told extra ramm will be noticed as Game stated...only during multiple programs operating at the same time, running a very large data base and queries with OS that will take advantage of all cpu cores and the added ramm, or large graphic rendering speed with OS that will take advantage of all cpu cores and the added ramm.

Depending on how old the existing ramm and not knowing speed and latencies values of existing ramm....a computer is only as fast as its slowest/weakest point. I have always tried to NOT mix different ramm sticks within the same system.
      Not sure really a test to determine if mixing slows down or not...who knows may be a marketing scam to make us buy knew ramm on updating.

my 2 1/2 cents...inflation ya know hehehe

Comment

I would ask what speed of ram are you running? Can your mobo handle a faster speed and would that require a cpu upgrade?

TG hit the nail on the head, if your are getting low memory warnings or are consistently maxing out free memory, maybe upgrade.

Cost vs performance? benchmark it now and then benchmark it again IF you upgrade and you tell us.

Post system specs please?
        Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys...

As I am typing this I have Chrome, Photoshop and IE (for work) open. Here's a screen...

I have 4 sticks in the machine:

2 x 2048 MBytes - PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
          2 x 1024 MBytes - PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Mind you I only have an i3 Intel CPU @ 2.93GHz. That would probably play a big part in why things are running slow.

Comment

Yeah the ram is a toss up in my opinion, you could drop in another 2 x 2048 if you want. Older ram gets expensive quick so maybe buy it while it's cheaper.

Yes, I agree you need to get that cpu up over 3.0 ghz to eliminate any bottlenecking.
            Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
            sigpic

Comment

I have considered getting a new rig at tax time. Nothing too expensive but enough to run what I have... well that plus BF4.

Comment

Non posted this link in another post. Good info on building a new rig based on your budget.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
                Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Yeah I saw that and bookmarked. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X