PC Death and Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Death and Resurrection

Well it looks like the old girl has finally giving up the ghost. I had to restart twice last night to even join the game and I was having issues during gameplay which finally ended in a hard crash.

Rather than try to fix my 7 year old hardware I decided to save my Lian Li case and gut everything else. Below is the hardware that should arrive tomorrow, I hope this will provide for a much better machine that will last another 7 years.

2 of Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0

Seasonic M12II 620 BRONZE ; SS-620GM 80Plus Power Supply

Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Bulk - IHAS124-04 (Black)

• [media]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51UWOFfpC3L._SY100_.jpg[/media] Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache BX80646I74770K

Gigabyte Z87 LGA 1150 2 Way SLI HDMI DVI ATX Motherboard (GA-Z87X-D3H)

Gigabyte GTX 760 GDDR5-2GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X Graphics Cards GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW

Nice...

What is the approx. cost for the new build? I am hopefully going to upgrade my rig as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~.:Q:.
      Nice...

What is the approx. cost for the new build? I am hopefully going to upgrade my rig as well.
      I checked Amazon's prices against New Egg and some others and they were very comparable. Since I am a "Prime" member with Amazon I ordered everything with next day shipping for $1,256.15.

Comment

Looks Good!!!
        B.O.L.O.G.N.A.

Comment

Awesome Min! Have you used and SSD Drive before? If not, you'll be amazed at how fast they are compared to standard mechanical HDD's. Just keep in mind never, ever, defrag an SSD! I own an Intel SSD and Intel provides specific software to optimize the drive, the SSD's version of defraging I guess. Perhaps samsung has something similar to optimize their SSD's. (I believe it is their magician software for Samsung SSD management here -> http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ct/MZ-7TE250BW

Also some quick tips for optimum performance of your SSD (keep in mind I am posting this just in case you are new to SSD's)

1) Make sure Superfetch/Prefetch is disabled in Windows
          2) Make Sure TRIM is enabled (Windows 7 should already have this enabled)
          3) Set you SSD to AHCI in BIOS instead of IDE

Looks like you got an awesome deal on your GPU too! I own the Evga GTX 680 and when I bought it it was $599.99 (now $519.99 at amazon).

The only difference between the two looks like memory size and cuda cores. I have no idea why mine is like $200 more than the one you bought. DOes anyone know? Below are the specs. They are almost identical except it seems the one I have has 2 GB more memory and more cuda cores. I have no idea why there is such a difference in price. If anyone knows, can you please reply? Below are the comparisons, I am stumped as to the big price difference when they are so similar.

Gigabyte GTX 760 GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0

Core Clock
          1085MHz

Boost Clock
          1150MHz

CUDA Cores

Effective Memory Clock
          6008MHz

Memory Size
          2GB

Memory Interface
          256-bit

Memory Type
          GDDR5

3D API

DirectX
          DirectX 11.1

OpenGL
          OpenGL 4.3

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 04G-P4-3687-KR

Core Clock
          1084MHz

Boost Clock
          1150MHz

CUDA Cores

Memory

Effective Memory Clock
          6008MHz

Memory Size
          4GB

Memory Interface
          256-bit

Memory Type
          GDDR5

3D API

DirectX
          DirectX 11.1

OpenGL
          OpenGL 4.2
          sigpic

Comment

She's back alive again. Seems pretty snappy... I bought a second 840 EVO and ran them in raid 0.

Comment

woo hoo, you should post some pics for us!
              sigpic

Comment

Nice!
                Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                sigpic

Comment

Nice build Min! That will carry you for another 5-6 years at least!

My current PC is hitting 5 years now (E8400) so I too am starting to gather components for a new gaming rig. I'm looking at the same CPU and a GTX760 Vid card as you have. I already have the same Samsung 840 EVO drive so I will re-use that, as well as the Samsung BluRay burner and the 1TB WD Black drive for data storage. I can also reuse my Antec 900 case although I really like the NZXT H630 case for it's sound deadening. For the PSU I'm looking at a Corsair AX760 if I can snag a deal, otherwise an HX750 will work. Both are modular. This time I'm going to try liquid cooling with a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme. I probably won't have it done for a month or two.
                  Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

My hd is dying, guess it's time to upgrade and get a legal copy of win7. lol
                    sigpic

Comment

lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Bluesman
                        Nice build Min! That will carry you for another 5-6 years at least!

My current PC is hitting 5 years now (E8400) so I too am starting to gather components for a new gaming rig. I'm looking at the same CPU and a GTX760 Vid card as you have. I already have the same Samsung 840 EVO drive so I will re-use that, as well as the Samsung BluRay burner and the 1TB WD Black drive for data storage. I can also reuse my Antec 900 case although I really like the NZXT H630 case for it's sound deadening. For the PSU I'm looking at a Corsair AX760 if I can snag a deal, otherwise an HX750 will work. Both are modular. This time I'm going to try liquid cooling with a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme. I probably won't have it done for a month or two.
                        Blues I can honestly say even with my side panel off my case this is the quietest my PC has ever been. I have to look at the LEDs sometime just to tell it's running. This is with the PC sitting next to my monitors as well!

Comment

That's the only problem with the Antec 900 case. With three 120mm fans front and rear along with a big 200mm fan on top, it runs cool but definitely makes some noise even with the fans dialed down. The PSU, CPU, and GPU all have fans of their own which makes even more noise. I'm looking at making this next build a LOT quieter. The PSU and MOBO will be here in a few days (got the Corsair AX760 PSU and went with the ASUS Z87-Pro V).

I think I'm going to go with a Nanoxia DS1 case instead of the NZXT. It's a pretty solid case made by a German company. Good sound deadening and cable management. Not a lot of US companies sell it yet so prices are still higher than I'd like.

Comment

Wow min, nice. Thumbs up on everything. I like the psu choice too. Sea sonic makes most of the good ones, other good ones are often rebranded Seasonics.
                            “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
                            ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

The Corsair AX 760 is made by Seasonic so I know it will be a stable unit. Their AX760i is made by Flextronics which is an OEM maker for a lot of brands but doesn't sell under their own name. Most of the reviews have said the digital link on the "I" version isn't worth the extra money and complexity. Also the fan on the Seasonic version is better.

Originally posted by HTM~nonstop
                              Wow min, nice. Thumbs up on everything. I like the psu choice too. Sea sonic makes most of the good ones, other good ones are often rebranded Seasonics.

Comment

Working...
                              X