New PC build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC build

I've started putting together components for a new PC. Most of the parts are here or being shipped. This is what I have so far.

[media]http://c773974.r74.cf2.rackcdn.com/414759_614842_04_front_thumbnail.jpg[/media] Asus Z87 Pro. I got the V-Edition which is the same as the pic but without the Wifi.

Intel Core i7 4770K CPU

Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case. Good sound deadening and cooling.

Corsair AX760 Modular PSU. Single rail and made by Seasonic.

[media]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41t5Huc51wL.jpg[/media]Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme cooler

[media]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71l6g-GWB9L._SL1500_.jpg[/media] Gigabyte GTX760 with 4GB memory

[media]http://c773974.r74.cf2.rackcdn.com/0383618_297325.jpg[/media] Corsair Vengeance 16GB memory

[media]http://c773974.r74.cf2.rackcdn.com/0420410_764449.jpg[/media] LG DVD RW optical drive.

I already have a 256GB Samsung 840 EVO and a 1TB WD Black drive which are both nearly new.

Operating system will be either Win7-64 or Win 8.1-64.

Should have every thing by the end of next week. Once I have it put together, I will still suck at UT, only much faster
    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Looks good Blues, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. That case should be really sweet.

Comment

THe case is pretty nice for the price ($109) with lots of room behind the motherboard for cable management, lots of grommets, and steel drive cages that can be configured a lot of ways.

The only problem I've found so far is when I test fit the radiator for the cooler on the top. The heat spreaders on the memory stick up too far and hit the fan on the radiator. No problem though as you can easily mount the radiator on the inside front panel. In some ways it's better because there are already fans installed for a push/pull setup with the fans that come with the cooler.

The integral fan controller is pretty cool too. You can plug up to 3 fans into each of the fan control circuits and only have one plug going into the PSU. Every fan opening has a filter that removes easily.

Comment

Looking good Blues, I really like that case!
        sigpic

Comment

Blues, I was going to say that case looked a wee bit small. I guess using a micro-atx is an option. Radiator? Are you building a car?
          “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
          ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Size isn't everything Non, just ask your wi.....oh never mind.

Full ATX board fits fine. The thing has 11 drive bays so I don't think you can refer to it as "small". The radiator on the water cooling setup is 38mm thick plus another 25mm for the fans. That's about 2-1/2" so it does take up some room in the case. I've got everything put together except for the vid card which hasn't arrived and the SSD which I'm taking from my current machine. Most of the cables are too long but at least the PSU is modular so I won't have tons of extra.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Bluesman
              Size isn't everything Non, just ask your wi.....oh never mind.

Full ATX board fits fine. The thing has 11 drive bays so I don't think you can refer to it as "small". The radiator on the water cooling setup is 38mm thick plus another 25mm for the fans. That's about 2-1/2" so it does take up some room in the case. I've got everything put together except for the vid card which hasn't arrived and the SSD which I'm taking from my current machine. Most of the cables are too long but at least the PSU is modular so I won't have tons of extra.
              Water cooling? Are you overclocking a lot? If not it's a little overkill isn't it? I mean if you already have a setup it makes sense but if not and not overclocking I assume you just want quiet.
              Their are air options that are inaudible these days as long as you aren't overclocking too hard. I have a case that is made for sound dapening that I selected and swapped stock fans for some very quiet fans and looked for a video card with silent/no fan options. I honestly can't even tell it's on except for the light in front. Things have gotten a lot cooler over the last few years so you can go air and save all the hassle of water/radiators etc and get yourself a quiet pc. I have done quiet a bit of research as I record acoustic instruments and couldn't have any ambient fan noise. About 5 years ago you couldn't have a quiet gaming pc on air, it's an option now.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/ is your friend and

so are Corsair AF120 fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181021

Or a Phlankets PH-F140TS 140mm (if you're case can do 140)

Ok I'm done geeking out about silent PCs, it's something I'm passionate about as I have three sitting next to me.
              ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

I did look at some of the air cooling options including some of the Noctua offerings. For this build I wanted some computing power that could carry me for a few years, but also really wanted to quiet things down more than the Antec 900 I'm using now with it's 200mm bigass fan. I settled on a closed loop water system for low noise, good cooling (even though I'm not going crazy OC'ing) and also for longevity. Some of the air coolers have gotten ridiculous in size and the closed loop water system is more compact. The PSU I bought has a fan that shuts down completely if there is little loading it and the graphics card I have is the same one Min has which he says is almost inaudible. I'll have to see how quiet the case fans are and will replace them if they are too loud.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Bluesman
                  I did look at some of the air cooling options including some of the Noctua offerings. For this build I wanted some computing power that could carry me for a few years, but also really wanted to quiet things down more than the Antec 900 I'm using now with it's 200mm bigass fan. I settled on a closed loop water system for low noise, good cooling (even though I'm not going crazy OC'ing) and also for longevity. Some of the air coolers have gotten ridiculous in size and the closed loop water system is more compact. The PSU I bought has a fan that shuts down completely if there is little loading it and the graphics card I have is the same one Min has which he says is almost inaudible. I'll have to see how quiet the case fans are and will replace them if they are too loud.
                  I think you're in the auto industry right? I'm almost sure you think you need a radiator if there is metal and heat involved. : )

I actually see your point but not sure it will make a huge diff since unless your gpu runs hot. I think on the CPU it's a wash but you may get three more years out of your video card. I have two pcs that are 9 years old in the house and the only thing that went were video and the north bridge fan. %#£€¥£% MSI board anyway! I overclocked both of those old horses.
                  ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Got it fired up and so far so good. MUCH quieter than the old box and seems to startup a lot faster as well. Just getting UT installed now so I should be up and running by the weekend!

Comment

What SSD did you get again?
                      ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

I re-used the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB drive I just bought a couple of months ago when my last SSD died.

Comment

Someone was talking about getting a new PC case the other night. This is the one I bought for my last build and I would highly recommend it. It's one of the most versatile cases I've seen and is extremely quiet. It's not light, but it is built to last!

http://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-Silenc.../dp/B008J1I0I6

Comment

Working...
                          X