Win7 or Win8 for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 or Win8 for gaming?

Thinking of buying a copy of windows 7 ultimate or should I buy windows 8?

Thoughts?
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    0%
    Windows 8 Pro 64
    0%

The poll is expired.

Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
    sigpic

I'm running Win 8.1 and so far it's running great. No major issues and with the changes they made when 8.1 came out it is much better (brought back the start button and right clicks for almost all settings). Easiest install I've ever done too.

If you're going with Windows 8 be sure to get version 8.1.

Rumor has it that the next version (Windows 9?) will be released in 2 versions, one for tablets and one for Desktop PC's. Probably coming next spring.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24626...-desktops.html
    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

I've never tried Win 8 or Win 8.1, I use Win 7 Ultimate and love it.

Comment

I am with Blues on 8 or 8.1 with Classic Shell. 8 has given me NO driver issues unlike 7 with my SBZ card. 8 also utilizes ram much better than any previous version has.
        Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion View Post
          I've never tried Win 8 or Win 8.1, I use Win 7 Ultimate and love it.
          What kind of sound card do you have and does it do true 5.1, not virtual. Also what headset do you use and does it do true 5.1? Like it has multiple speakers etc. I don't really want virtual surround but i'll try it.

Also can you use the "3D HW audio + EAX" setting in ut2k4 with it? and does it affect performance/FPS rates?
          sigpic

Comment

I'm using a Logitech G930 wireless headset (USB). No need for sound card as it is built in. It is a 7.1 Surround sound system which I wasn't sure I would like at first. After using it for a while, if I switch it off the game sound is incredibly flat.
            Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

I can not really say. only used windows 8 seeing it on a demo computer at a store.
              really don't like the interface.

Comment

I was an avid Windows 7 x 64 user since it was released. I bought Windows 8 Pro when it first came out when it was only $39.95. I upgraded and I didn't like it very much.

I was having some major issues with Windows 7 x64 to the point I was going to probably have to reformat so I just decided to try out Windows 8 Pro x 64 since they have the new 8.1 out. I have to say, now that I am starting to get used to Windows 8 Pro 8.1 I am starting to like it more and more. Now I cannot comment on the gaming performance of Windows 8 Pro, however I have notice much faster performance with the same hardware I used with Windows 7 x64. Boot times and shut down times are faster and it seems that it is more efficient at handling RAM. I think once you get used to Windows 8 Pro (especially now that 8.1 is out) you'll like it. I cannot comment on how reliable and stable it is like Windows 7 x 64 was for me since I just upgraded about a week ago, but so far Windows Pro 8.1 is running nice and smooth and I haven't had any issues with it other than trying to get used to the new GUI.

My 2 cents are that if you can get a really good price on Windows 8 Pro and then get the free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 8.1 I would go for it in my humble opinion.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks doods.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X