Ram Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Question.

I have G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 and One of them are dead and/or messing up..
    Not sure which one but was wondering how much of a difference would it make getting DDr3 2133??

Should I go back to CORSAIR.. first time ever had ram die on me..always used CORSAIR.. When I built this I tried something new.
    "If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." -Brooke Shields

What main board are you using? I would think G. Skill would take care of the bad stick if you sent in an RMA for it. Have you contacted them? As for the difference in RAM speed, you might see a small increase in benchmark test scores, but I doubt you could feel the difference in game.

Comment

I have bought lots of gskill, ocz, and corsair ram. I have been fortunate enough to never have any die on me. My brother has had lots of gskill as well and never had any issues. I would say the brand is okay these things just happen sometimes. If the issues are consistent enough and you are able to boot and run then try running with 1 or 2 sticks at a time swapping them out till you find the faulty stick or sticks. gskill has a pretty good return policy from what I have heard.
      system specs
      q6600 quad core 2.4 gightz
      4 gigs ram , 128 ssd
      ati 6570 i think
      windows 7

Comment

I'm using Asus m4a79xtd evo. I didn't know would take it back..rather just get new one..would prob take forever for testing.Also I have no clue where my receipt is...been a while too. I haven't tried to find which is bad ram yet, but I know one is. Games take 3 times as long to load,pictures load slow,my explorer takes forever to load,unrar used to blast, but goes super slow and when doing multi things my physical memory is maxed. Not to mention the blue screen of physical memory dump I have been getting of and on. Didn't used to be this way.. but it sucks when it crashes during games and lose score and squad and place on server... so haven't played in a while.. Wasn't sure if should get the same ones or new ram. I think I want 16gb this time instead of 8gb of ram.
        "If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." -Brooke Shields

Comment

Since you are running 2 4gig sticks, testing should be EZ as well as I would recommend moving them to the other slots you have open just in case a ram slot is acting up on you. As far as G.skill goes, I have been using them for years now without a fail however, nothing lasts forever. You can not up your ram speed anyways, your MB caps out at 1800 O.C. If you are considering moving up to 16 gigs, what OS are you using? If 7 64, 16gig will be AWESOME!

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750
          AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition AM3
          16G 4Gx4 G.SKILL Quad Channel DDR3 1600 Sniper
          1TB Western Digital Black 64M SATA3
          320GB Western Digital Blue 16M SATA2
          Sound Blaster Z series 5.1 sound card
          eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB Fermi
          Windows8.1 Pro64
          Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

I just completed my new small build and this is what I did:

MSI Z97-Gaming 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
            Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150
            HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
            SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series MZ-75E120B/AM 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD
            Secondary HD that I already had
            MSI N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5
            Corsair CX750 Modular PSU
            DIYPC Skyline Case
            Win 8.1

I am going to be doubling the RAM here pretty soon. I need to find that Start menu replacement... I hate clicking on it and getting the tiles. lol!

I have usually used Kingston as I did here. I have never had any problems.

Comment

Nice. Try Start8 from Stardock. They have a free trial and it is only $4.99 I use it and it works good for me. You can bring back the classic Win start menu and configure it to your liking, and you can also set it to bypass all of the annoying things in Win8.

Link:
              http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~.:Q:.
                I need to find that Start menu replacement... I hate clicking on it and getting the tiles. lol!
                I'm using the free "Classic Shell' on my 8.1 laptop, I like it a lot. I can actually find things now

http://www.classicshell.net/

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Cousin_Itt
                  You can not up your ram speed anyways, your MB caps out at 1800 O.C. If you are considering moving up to 16 gigs, what OS are you using? If 7 64, 16gig will be AWESOME!
                  I'm using 1866 now..book says it can use up to 2000. I'm using Win 7 64 and would like to use 16GB... Battlefield would purrr with that.. Is there a huge difference with 1600 or 1800 or even 2000.. would i even notice?? If I could I would use the same thing 1866.

Comment

User Manual - Page 69

... over voltage. Configuration options: [Auto] [Normal] [+33mv] [+66mv] [+100mv] HT Link Speed [Auto] Allows you to select the HyperTransport link speed. Configuration options: [Auto] [200MHz] [400MHz] [600MHz] [800MHz] [1000MHz] [1200MHz] [1400MHz] [1600MHz] [1800MHz] [2000MHz]...02V interval. Use the and keys to adjust the value. DRAM Frequency [Auto] DDR3 Memory Profile [Disabled] Allows you to enable or disable the DDR3 memory profile function. Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled] DRAM Voltage [Auto] Allows you to set the DRAM...
                    I read that the board only supports 1800 MHz as well, but the manual does state 2000MHz. Worst case scenario is that the chipset will run the 2000 MHz at 1800Mhz.

I'm running 16 GB 1600 MHz with a 3.5 GHz 4770K with Win 7 64 and love it, I'm sure yours will run even better.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I figured the same thing..even thou it is 1866 it will still run it as 1600. At least I hope..lol

They didn't have what I wanted(the pro series) , but still good anyway.

I got CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB

Was 160 at the store and they price matched it to 139. So not a bad price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-399-_-Product

Gonna try them here in a few , then load up that UT4 pre-alpha.. Not sure how to play anymore..lol

Thanx for all the help.

Comment

Nice! Good luck!

Comment

So far so good.. Only played UT4 so far not battlefield.

Comment

I just reinstalled BF4.. will install BF3 in a bit.

Comment

Cool..new ram makes me wanna play

Comment

Working...
                              X