My computer and UT2k7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer and UT2k7

Being a Mac guy for many years and this being only the second PC I've owned, I'm somewhat hardware ignorant. I had a local pro (and buddy) put this machine together for me. The stipulation was to come in+/- $2000 and to kick ass in UT. ;-) This was about a year ago:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Socket 939 motherboard. (nForce 3 Ultra)
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939pin processor
    1gb Memory (2x512 DDR400) Super Talent with Heat Spreaders
    XFX GeForce FX 6800 FT AGP 8x video card 256mb DDR3 TV/DVI

OK, given this configuration, how will I perform with 2k7? Will I need to replace anything? Currently I run with all the UT graphics details maxed and experience no frame loss. Seems rock solid to me. nothing is overclocked or messed with at all. It's as I brought it home from the shop.
    r3m3MB3r... J00'R3 n07 901n9 70 4M0UN7 70 j4k_5kW@

Bellingham, WA Photographer
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

nice...i see that the only thing that you are lacking is pci express board and card, but with lower graphics it prolly wont matter. not sure who, but someone told me that the minimum ram needed will be 1gig...dont quote me on that as i may be wrong
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the CheeZ.

Comment

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents:

That's a really nice video card, but by the time 2k7 comes out, AGP will be obsolete. You'll probably need to break down and get a PCI-Express video card eventually, so you'll need a new motherboard. If you want to upgrade to a PCIe mobo, try this one out. Probably the best one you can buy right now, and it's not that expensive as far as computer parts go. Also, most of the parts you're currently using should work fine with that board, except the video card. Plus, there is lots of room for upgrading with the ASUS mobo like SLI, 4GB max memory, SATA2, AMD Dual Core CPU support, etc. I built my system with this board and has worked great for me so far.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy dawg
        I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents:

That's a really nice video card, but by the time 2k7 comes out, AGP will be obsolete. You'll probably need to break down and get a PCI-Express video card eventually, so you'll need a new motherboard. If you want to upgrade to a PCIe mobo, try this one out. Probably the best one you can buy right now, and it's not that expensive as far as computer parts go. Also, most of the parts you're currently using should work fine with that board, except the video card. Plus, there is lots of room for upgrading with the ASUS mobo like SLI, 4GB max memory, SATA2, AMD Dual Core CPU support, etc. I built my system with this board and has worked great for me so far.

That's not a bad price at all. So if I was to go with that board (the PCI express slot is on the motherboard right?) I wouldn't need a new processor right? And maybe a 7800 video card? :-)

So I could probably be back to a shit-kickin' gaming machine for under $1000?

I'll of course wait and see the performance hit before upgrading but I want to be prepared to do what I have to do to carry on. UT Forever baby!
        r3m3MB3r... J00'R3 n07 901n9 70 4M0UN7 70 j4k_5kW@

Bellingham, WA Photographer
        Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Comment

i think you'll be fine..no telling yet to be sure..game isn't finished so no real benchmark to use. you can review some benchmarks used on the latest release.. F.E.A.R. here for reference.

http://ut2007world.cc/952-f-e-a-r-cp...-vs-intel.html

Comment

Pci express & dual cards seems to be the way to go.I' in the same boat. I have a 3400 64 with a 6600gt card 1.5 gigs.I did tweak the card to 1.02gig 600 core useing coolbits.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X