No announcement yet.

PC Randomly Just Powers Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the goo news is my new PC arrived. The bad news is it needs a lot of tweaking. UT2004 feels really weird, I need to go back over my user.ini and see what I missed. I'll load TS tomorrow and see if i can join and maybe you guys can help me fine tune my settings.

Comment

Good deal, Syd, glad to see your getting it back together
      In Memory of Anna Dixon
      Aug. 31,1964 - Dec. 6,2012

Life is just an illusion,so,enjoy the ride while you can.

Depression sux.......but the drugs are good.

Comment

Glad to hear it Min' I just built an i7-10700KF rig and went back to ASUS motherboard 16GB or RAM but the existing nVidia card out of the previous rig. GTX 1050Ti. I know that part needs attention and will be next. I also need to ditch the spinning disks for SSDs. This motherboard even has the slot for the type of SSD that sit's right on the same bus as the PCIe. (name escapes me). Good luck with your new rig!

Comment

M.2 drives... I recently learned about them myself. I'm soooo out of date with PC technology.

After kicking around rebuilding the old PC just because I loved the Lian Li case I made a decision to do something I've never done before. I used our corporate connection with HP and bought a pre-built PC. An HP OMEN, so far I'm pretty impressed even though I know my upgradeability is limited. I personally think my upgrade days are over anyway so that point is pretty moot.

This too has the Intel 10th Gen i7 10700, 16 GB of HyperX DDR4 and a Nvidia RTX 2060 Super with 8GB of GDDR6. Also came with a 512 GB M.2 drive along with a 1TB 7200 rpm SATA for storage. It benchmarked pretty nicely and I'm sure it's much more than I will ever need reading email and playing 2K4.

Comment

Very nice! I have read good reviews of them.

Comment

My used eBay main board came in yesterday. I installed it last night in the old box and it purrs like a kitten.

Go figure.... I'm pulling my data off it now.

Comment

If you like your old case, just pull everything out of the Omen and put it all in the Lian Li

I may do that with the Dell I bought last year. The Nanoxia case I have is a lot better than the case I got with the XPS.
                Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Check the power switch and reset switch.

Originally posted by HTM|Minion View Post
                  Thanks Mark, I'll take a look. I did use the bios based gigabyte hardware monitor and all temps seem to be ok, but I'll try the CPUID as well.

I fiddled with it for a bit last night thinking the "start" button might have been internally shorting and commanding it to shut down. I removed the connector from the MOBO and jumped the contacts manually, it started, but still shut off again so I know it's not the switch.

I check all cards and everything seems seated properly. The issue is so random it's hard to know when it will shut down. Last night it shut down 3 times before ever booting window, but ran nonstop for a day and half a couple days ago...just weird.

I'll add all the hardware specs and temps tonight if I can keep the damn thing running long enough.
                  Check the power switch. Turn on the pc with the switch then pull it away from the terminals give it time to see if it is the switch. Do the same for the rest.

Comment

Hi Tony, I hope you are doing well.

I did try that and it made no difference early on. I finally picked up another main board (used) with the same chip set so i could pull my data off the raid array. The used board seems to have fixed it, she purrs like a kitten now. I guess you can't be too mad at an 8 year old board failing... lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X