Rig Died.... CPU tossup 7800x3d vs 13700k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig Died.... CPU tossup 7800x3d vs 13700k

So as title suggests, my rig shit the bed this past week. I dont know which parts survived. Im hoping my gpu survived so i can wait it out until the desktop version of the 4060 comes out and can see how that works. Besides that, im eyeballing two cpus. 7800x3d and 13700k.
    I sometimes video encode and/or stream at times. But mainly game. the 13700k beats the 7800x3d in most if not all productivity apps, basically anything but gaming. But ive seen many benchmarks that suggest the 7800x3d beats the 13700k in gaming. The super con of the 13700k is that its eats soooo much power. they have a boost TDP of over 250W and the 7800x3d has a tdp of 120W. Forcing me to buy an even beefier power supply and costing much more to run. Also driving up heat production ,etc. Some benchmarks suggested that the intel uses up almost 3 times as much power than the 7800x3d. So this pretty much rules out any cases in the micro atx range. Small you ask.. well im tired of giant cases. NVME exist and why not take advantage of the smaller size lol. Also what do you all know about PCIe 5.0, should i even look into that? What are your thoughts. 7800x3d or 13700k.. go!
    Last edited by FuryofFive; 04-17-2023, 08:41 AM.

Well, need the specs of what you got now, PS, case, RAM, etc. Also, I am biased and seem to love AMD's cost and productivity. If you go with the AMD option, you have to go to DDR5. If you go with the Intel option, you can still use DDR4. I am currently running PCIe 4.0 so I can't speak to 5.0 but I have heard there have been issues with it as far as RAM goes. Lethal was having issues with his new build so you might want to ask him. Hardware incompatibility. As far as gen 4.0 goes, its solid and fast. Also, do you not own a PS tester? If not, you can use a paper clip as a jumper to test your PS. You can find that on the intertubes....... It wont tell you anything other than its works but there is that. I bought a PS tester that is digital cheap Chinese but does the job and I paid $14 for it. My email is mark_temple@hotmail.com if you need some assistance with parts.
    Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

I bought a power supply from Best Buy to test out the board and no lights on it and if wouldn’t power on.

Had the following:

PSU -silver stone 700w DA700(I think that’s it)
      evga Gtx 1080 Oc Sc
      16Gb ddr3 4x4GB
      as rock motherboard(don’t remember model)
      1TB crucial 2.5 SSD mx500 I think

I really like the 7800x3d. Low power consumption means it’ll never thermal throttle if properly cooled. But gets spanked in content creation. If I record some gameplay and want to convert it, the 13700k smokes it. But takes up so much juice at full load. 250+ watts.

Comment

i think the 7800x3d would work better in a smaller case. I really wanted to go small. Like ITX small. and i found boards and cases that support the long gpus and what not. Just gotta narrow it down. Gonna be a struggle lol.

Comment

Might want to also consider an i5-13600K instead of the 13700K. Close to the speed of the 7800x3D and similar TDP, but at price that is almost $200 less!

https://www.pcguide.com/cpu/ryzen-7-...ore-i5-13600k/

Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

I looked at the 13600k, its good, but i wanted something really high end to get the most out of it. figure get another 8 years out of my rig. Also Im in no rush to get a new rig. So im gonna wait until the 4060 ti gets dropped. See how it plays with both of these processors. The Am5 looks appealing because its at the start of its life. just came out in Sept 2022. Where LGA1700 is at its end. So if AMD puts out another 2 generations, i could snag the latest and prolong buying new mobo/ram for 10 years lol.

there are cheaper Am5, but for the price per performance ratio..not worth my time.
            Last edited by FuryofFive; 04-19-2023, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I finished the picking the parts and this is what i went with:
              https://pcpartpicker.com/user/furyoffive/saved/PCRg3C

Im returning the 1080p monitors for a pair of 1440p. They are budget monitors, I couldnt bring myself to go crazy just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FuryofFive View Post
                The Am5 looks appealing because its at the start of its life. just came out in Sept 2022. Where LGA1700 is at its end. So if AMD puts out another 2 generations, i could snag the latest and prolong buying new mobo/ram for 10 years lol.

there are cheaper Am5, but for the price per performance ratio..not worth my time.
                I thought the LGA1700 was released in 2021 which would suggest it will be around for a while too. Intel moves pretty slowly when it comes to updating sockets :-) AM5 is a little newer though.

Comment

The only other thing I would change from what you have is the PSU and go with either a Corsair RM850X, a Corsair RM850X Shift or an HX850. The RM Shift moves the connections to the side for easier hookup than on the end. The HX is Platinum Certified. Lots of folks like EVGA, but I've had a couple of issues with their PSU's in the past (2 quit working within a couple of years). YMMV.

Comment

Current wiring. Missing power supply, video card, cpu, and cpu fan. I don’t imagine there will be a ton more of wires.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I decided to go with the 7900 XT instead of a 6950 XT. The Tech is more current in the 7900 XT. Not to mention the extra VRAM. I’m hoping to move over to 1440 P. Now we just have to find a TV that has native 1440 P support.

Comment

I got everything wired and I can boot to the bios once here and there. Never actually get to install windows. Motherboard didn’t see the videocard. That could be a setting l. But luckily motherboard had onboard video l. Also some real bad coil whine. Sooo back to waiting again . Luckily Amazon will cross ship. So I’ll be back at it this weekend. Love it.
                        I did however hook up the 1440 monitor l. And well doesn’t look bad for the cost l. My laptop doesnt support 1440 and 60hz. I’m gonna try installing some games on the laptop and seeing how the screen loooks. People online whining about ghosting ppffftt

Comment

As of right now. i do regret not going with Intel. Problems with Am5 at the moment. so lame.

Comment

Rig is up and running. Did all my tests and seems to be running nice. The monitors are meh. colors smear in fast paced games. ill give them a week. need to test UT2004 before i pass judgement. Still annoyed by the AMD expo problem going on right now. If you didnt know, i cant enable Expo(amds xmp) to get my ram from 4800 to 5200. Motherboard bios was applying to much voltage to the SOC essentially frying the chips.

Comment

Working...
                            X