Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PC is a peice of shit

So here's what's happening....

I started noticing troubles a few weeks ago.... maps with lots of textures, like Altena are hard for me to play (sad, used to be one of my favorite maps, but now I wont' vote for it). I feel like i'm sliding around, moving in fast-motion, then slow-motion... back and forth.... sorta makes me feel sick and its REALLY hard to aim like that (or move around effectively).

Now that's happening on almost every map and a new problem has arisen (I don't know if they are related)....

Windows shuts itself down. FUN!!!!

Its not a lock-up, or just the pc turning off... but it actually goes through a shut-down sequence.... randomly.

It typically happens while playing UT and then it particularly seems to happen while typing (talking), or when there are many many button mashes.

But... it can happen anytime (even while UT is loading) or even when I'm just in Windows doing nothing.

NO viruses, spyware, etc. that I can find.

In fact, HDD is pretty freshly reformatted.

I did move my PC when I went to Ft. Worth for the Democratic Convention (I need to show y'all my YellowDog sticker and YellowDog Democrat t-shirt) But I've made sure RAM is tight in MOBO. I did a system restore back to when it was working fine. I used some compressed air and cleaned all fans, heat sink, etc. BTW, this happens even with case completely open, all fans are working, etc.

Is my cheap-ass ECS Mobo going bad? Vid card? Power Supply? RAM? Should I just toss it all out and beg for PC money on the side of the road?

Even when I get through a complete game now, it runs so crazy rough that I suck worse than a cheap whore. At least that's my excuse for Jak's one victory

Any help or experiences with this would be much appreciated
    Something Clever Goes Here

I'm sure the convention didn't help but the t-shirt prolly killed it. :wink:

Weird that it actually goes through the shutdown process. Sounds like a virus, power supply or the reset/power button is fuxored.

Didn't you replace the power supply?

You might want to run hijackthis and post the log.

Not sure what to do if its a physical button.
    B.O.L.O.G.N.A.

Comment

I started noticing troubles a few weeks ago.... maps with lots of textures, like Altena are hard for me to play (sad, used to be one of my favorite maps, but now I wont' vote for it). I feel like i'm sliding around, moving in fast-motion, then slow-motion... back and forth.... sorta makes me feel sick and its REALLY hard to aim like that (or move around effectiv
      That sounds like the video card.
      Mine would shut down due to the power supply.
      Maybe more than one problem.
      sigpic

Comment

Just to be clear.... its not just turning off suddenly.... its going through the Windows Shut-down process. Not rebooting, but turning off. Those distinctions make it very difficult to search it on Google because people don't make those distinctions and you don't know what they mean. :?

Comment

Download HijackThis, run it & post the log.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Comment

Re: My PC is a peice of shit

Originally posted by HTM|YellowDog
            Even when I get through a complete game now, it runs so crazy rough that I suck worse than a cheap whore. At least that's my excuse for Jak's one victory
            *plugs ears while "neenering" js js js js js... killdog...*

I will not let this weak and rather flaccid excuse for an offhanded cop-out deter my swelling sense of superiority and omnipotence!

*neener neener I can't hear you...*

I will not let this weak and rather flaccid excuse for an offhanded cop-out deter my swelling sense of superiority and omnipotence!

Dog must die! And NOW is definitely the time, when his comp is SuKing. We must MOVE IN FOR THE KILL, like wild dogs thinning the weak from the PaK. MWAHAHAHA

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

J/K Sorry to hear about your computer... You have credit right? *snicker* I don't tell the wife when I'm upgrading. "I have to upgrade some stuff dear." Of course, since I have all my toys in the seperate studio, it's pretty easy to camaflouge new boxes. It took her a year to notice my UT machine under the desk. "Ahhh...no, I've had that quite a while actually."
            r3m3MB3r... J00'R3 n07 901n9 70 4M0UN7 70 j4k_5kW@

Bellingham, WA Photographer
            Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Comment

HiJakThisLog

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
              Scan saved at 4:47:35 PM, on 6/15/2006
              Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
              MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
              D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
              D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
              D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
              C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
              D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
              D:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
              D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
              C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
              D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
              D:\Program Files\Belkin\Nostromo\nost_LM.exe
              D:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
              D:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\qbdagent2001.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\mrtMngr.EXE
              C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
              C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco...search/ie.html
              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco.../www.yahoo.com
              O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
              O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
              O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
              O2 - BHO: MSN Search Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TB\02.05.0001.1119\en-us\msntb.dll
              O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C3B25A10-ABA6-4522-975F-0F36C2DBD249} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcqmonui.dll
              O3 - Toolbar: MSN Search Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TB\02.05.0001.1119\en-us\msntb.dll
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] D:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Loadout Manager.lnk = D:\Program Files\Belkin\Nostromo\nost_LM.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?
              O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks 2001 Delivery Agent.lnk = D:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\qbdagent2001.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Windows Desktop Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\DS\02.05.0001.1119\en-us\bin\WindowsSearch.exe
              O8 - Extra context menu item: &MSN Search - res://C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TB\02.05.0001.1119\en-us\msntb.dll/search.htm
              O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
              O8 - Extra context menu item: Open in new background tab - res://C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TAB\02.05.0001.1119\en-us\msntabres.dll/229?74ca3388b2e943ae8ca7c15cc6c86a2
              O8 - Extra context menu item: Open in new foreground tab - res://C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TAB\02.05.0001.1119\en-us\msntabres.dll/230?74ca3388b2e943ae8ca7c15cc6c86a2
              O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
              O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
              O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
              O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
              O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...?1148864041764
              O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
              O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
              O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
              O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - D:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
              O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
              O23 - Service: MapMarker Server (MapMarkerServer) - Unknown owner - D:\program files\mapinfo\mapmarker\Mm_serve.exe
              O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

Comment

Looks decent. Nothing malicious sticks out. The toolbar crap I don't install, but I take it you do...

You can parse the log here if you like to see what I saw:

http://www.hijackthis.de/en

http://hjt.networktechs.com/

I'm leaning toward a hardware issue after seeing the log.

Comment

Cool, thanks, Assraker. That's some pretty neat stuff. Although, it would be cooler if it said, "please replace vid card" or something more simple. Anyone wanna venture a guess? Orrrrrr.... is there a service I can pay $20.00 for a diagnoses or something? I don't wnat to replace MOBO and find out it was bad RAM.

Comment

What OS are you using? Have you checked the event logs? They may tell you why it shut down.

If you are running XP-Pro, here is how you access the event logs:

Right click "My Computer" and select "Manage" and a new window will pop up.
                    In the left side of the new window, select "Event Viewer" and click on the + sign beside it to expand it.
                    Under Event Viweer select "System" and a list of things will show up to your right. Explore through the "Errors" that are there to find out more information about what went wrong & where. Alot of details are there.

Comment

There is a setting under control panel/perf&maint/system/advanced/startup&recovery that will force the pc to "restart" under an error condition. I have had this cause mine to shut down in the past. However it's doing this because of an error that should be recorded in the system log.

An overheating gpu or cpu can trigger this as well. You should see how your bios is configured too, some have options for shut down if cpu/northbridge temps get too high.

Comment

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with backups, but I'm very comfortable with it. After deleting your wifes pictures and stuff a few times you learn what folders to backup.

That being said, if you are comfortable with backups you should do this...

1. Backup

2. Backup more

3. BOOT to your OS CD (or diskette if 95/98/ME)

4. Let the installer format the disk, and then reload Windows

5. Reinstall UT2004 connect up and see if it improves.

It is a lot of work but like I said I've gotten good at it and I don't put up with a slow PC. Software and Internet can be like barnacles on a ship after a while. It starts slowing you down. Purging is the only way around it. However computers do seem to age.

Comment

Well,

Happened just now... twice in a row.... once when I was playing UT, once when I was trying to get on to the forums to type this message.

Both times, no errors in the Computer Management Event Viewer.

So its not just while playing UT it doesn't seem.... although UT is a frequent instigator of the problem.

BTW: Real recent reformat..... like just a few days. The stutter in Altena was both before and after reformat. The shut-down problem is after.

Comment

BTW: Thanks to everyone for your help

Comment

Out of curiosity, do any of the capacitors on your MB look like they may be swollen or "bulged" at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X