Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Coyote

Hi everyone,

I've been a longtime contributer to the Omnip)o(tentS forums but haven't really had much incentive to look around for other communities to hang out with. Of course, it's been that way for about 3 years now, so hey, better late than never, I say! I've run into a few HTM folks on the )o( forums and they've all been pretty cool so I figured I drop by and say hi.

Lessee... I've been around for a while (I'm in my mid-thirties) so I was in college when Doom showed up. I went through Doom, I, II, Quake I, Pathways into Darkness (Mac) and the Marathon series (also Mac) before I discovered online game play. I've been a huge fan of tactical "squad" FPS gaming for a number of years now. My first real online gaming experience was with a little-known Half Life mod called Front Line Force that one of my friends introduced me to. This game was kind of like Counterstrike but with classes (support, assault, recon) and with timed respawns (no sitting out for the rest of the match after you die). in this game, the objective was very similar to UT Assault in that you had a number of objectives that you had to capture in order to win while the other team would be on defense. Then you'd switch sides and play again. The really cool thing was that you got huge benefits for working as a team in this game. For instance, if you were near one or more teammates, you would slowly regenerate health (more guys near==higher health bonuses) and I think your aim and accuracy with your guns was improved. If you killed an enemy near where your teammate was capturing a point, you'd get bonus points. If you were even near a point when it was being captured, you'd get a little point bonus for it. In all, it was a terrific gaming experience and I was really sad to see it go.

After FLF, I started playing UT99 (late bloomer) but by the time I started playing online, everyone knew how to win the AS games in like 3 seconds by launching each other around the map... lol. After that, I wasn't doing a whole lot of online gaming until ut2k4 came out. I didn't even get ut2k3 since all it looked like to me was just fancy graphics on top of my beloved UT99. Anyway, ONS and AS had me hooked instantly and I soon discovered the )o( servers (32 player AS server, baby!!!) and I played on them most of the time but often visited other servers if they happened to be playing some of my favorite AS maps (Grand Canyon, Ionification, Ballx, Chaos, to name a few). I've only recently gone back to ONS once in a while because )o( has shut down everything but that server.

I've also been a really big fan of UnWheel and played that a lot in 2006/2007. I was sad to see that game finally die off though. The racing engine was absolutely terrific and I got to know a couple of really good racers during that time. I'm also a bit bummed that I missed out on Air Buccaneers when that was still actually played by people. That game looked like it required TONS of teamwork. I've also played a bit of TAM and Freon which was fun, but frankly, I've never been that much of a fan of DM-style games as I much prefer team-based objective games. Frankly, there's nothing quite like the thrill of doing anything it takes (including sacrificing yourself repeatedly) in order to ensure a team win. Good stuff.

Like I said before, I'm in my mid-thirties. I like finding other folks who are near or older to my age range online. If nothing else, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who is denial about growing up. I'm married with two kids and really only get a chance to game once in a while in the evenings. Otherwise I just like to hang out online with weird people. Thus, maybe having hung out on the forums with Moo for a few years made me more susceptible to visiting the HTM forums. Moo's got to be one of the weirdest guys I've met online.

So what's up, folks? I'm just starting to explore the HTM forums now to see what you're all about.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    -- Galileo Galilei

Welcome Coyote!

Comment

"Otherwise I just like to hang out online with weird people."

...you sure picked the right spot. Welcome! I'm an old cuss but I was young once. That counts for something doesn't it? Like you, I started my gaming with Doom and the Marathon series, even built 30 maps for Infinity, ...don't tell the rest of these guys but I only have a Mac. I have WinXP installed on a separate drive and boot into it when I want to do windows stuff, like play UT3, or build maps. Everyone here are top-notch people, (with me as the exception), and will welcome you with open arms. I'm real new myself and still can't find my way around. I hope you know all the nicks for everything or you'll be lost like me. These guys are professional. Most of 'em suck but that's for another time. So welcome again!

PS Its OK if you donate often. Drives 'em crazy. lol.
      "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the forums,coyote!!
          In Memory of Anna Dixon
          Aug. 31,1964 - Dec. 6,2012

Life is just an illusion,so,enjoy the ride while you can.

Depression sux.......but the drugs are good.

Comment

Welcome man,at 56 we don't grow up our toys just get more expensive. lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freak View Post
              Welcome man,at 56 we don't grow up our toys just get more expensive. lol
              Yeah, what he said; except Freak's the OLDER old fart.
              sigpic

WHY RENT WHEN YOU CAN OWN! - HTM~UnH!nged, 2008

Comment

Nice to meet you all.

After I posted my "gaming history" I remembered that I've also had a quick fling with RtCW Enemy Territory as that was probably the closest thing that I've come to finding a FPS that was like Front Line Force.

As another "get to know you" sort of thing, let me introduce you to my gaming rig. Last fall I finally decided to upgrade from my aging (but still servicable!!!) P4 2.4GHz Geforce4 4800Ti machine and got a shiny new beast:

Mobo : EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel

CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600

CPU cooler : ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink

RAM : 2x OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Micron D7 Chip Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N1066SR2GK

GPU : 2x EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI

Case : Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

PSU : COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply

Harddrives : 2x Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

Did I mention I liked LEDs? I was overjoyed to find that I could buy fans for pretty much every single component in the machine and that they all came with blue LEDs. I was even happier to discover LED Light strips that I could use to add additional detailing (e.g. any part of the machine that WASN'T lit up already...) Yes, I know it doesn't have the sexy new offerings from Nvidia (those new 9800 GTXs are sweet!) so it's hard to get that excited about it I suppose, but it's a great machine. I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu (7.10) Linux on one drive for my everyday work and Windows XP 64-bit on the other exclusively for gaming. I use Ubuntu pretty much exclusively at work and so I like to keep the same OS at home so I can continue working on projects in the evening. Pretty much the only time I'm in Windows is when I'm doing Powerpoint (read: embedded videos) presentations at conferences or for group meeings.

Yes, I prefer Linux for everything that I do save for gaming. However, I try not to be a zealot about it since I try to also make sure that the software I write at work compiles on Windows (using Cygwin) and on Mac OSX using g++. I'm also a fan of Python as a general-purpose prototyping language and for doing scripting tasks.

So, outside of working and home computing (which doesn't leave much time, honestly), I liked to ride my mountain bike. I used to be into anime but now I don't get much chance to watch it anymore. I don't even recognize any of the series that are out there (save for mayve Naruto but I never really watched that anyway...) I think the last series I really was into was Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig, but even that wasn't as good as the first series.

Where do you guys typically hang out online? I noticed he server pages and saw that the're all DM for ut2004. It also looks like you have a CoD4 server is that right? I've got the game and thought the single player was pretty cool but haven't tried it online yet. In fact, after I got my new rig, I kind of went nuts with the new offerings (UT3, Bioshock, Orange Box, Crysis, CoD4) and went through all of the single player games in short succession. I've started going back through the years and have been picking up older titles that I missed when I was back in my "If it doesn't run on Linux, I won't play it" phase with games. I've recently relived Far Cry and have just got a bargain-shelf copy of F.E.A.R. to go through when I have some time next week.

What else... I'm a big fan of sci-fi in general even though I don't read much anymore. I thing my favorite authors include Larry Nivan, Isaac Asimov, William Gibson, Neal Stephenson (even though he doesn't know how to END a story...), Bruce Sterling, and R.A. Salvatore. Back in the day, I was really into AD&D and spent a fair amount of my college weekends as part of a very active gaming group. Nowadays, I do table-top and card gaming like Settlers of Catan, Chez Geek, and Fluxx with my friends. Once in a while, we'll break out the Cheapass games (yes, that's the name of the company) and do a little bit of Devil Bunny Needs a Ham or Unexploded Cow. I love corrupting... er... introducing new folks to these games. A little surrealism every day is good for you, IMHO.
                "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

Looks like a 5000$ flashlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo
                    Looks like a 5000$ flashlight.
                    hahahahahahaha
                    Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                    sigpic

Comment

LOL, hiya Moo! Yeah, I don't need any lights in my office in the evening with that thing turned on. The kids like crawling under the table to look at it. I ran out of places to stick lights on it otherwise it'd probably have more.

Just for that, I'll see if I can add another one or two on the outside just for you, Moo...
                      -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

You'll usually find us in Sanctuary,our TAM server
                        In Memory of Anna Dixon

Comment

When are you guys on? I typically only have time to play in the evenings, say between 10:00pm-1:00am EST.

Also, can someone let me know if I need to install the TAM software or if it'll be downloaded when I try to connect? I remember having to download it when omni had a Freon server... took me forever to find the stupid software, too.
                          -- Galileo Galilei

Comment

All files will download for you,and we usually play between around 5 and 10 pm cst.
                            In Memory of Anna Dixon

Comment

The TAM package should d/l pretty quick, but you may want to download this package and unzip it to your "UT2004/Sounds" folder. Our servers run "zounds" and these take a while to pull in from the net.

Comment

Working...
                              X