Follow us on Steam Follow us on FB Follow us on Twitter Subscribe on Youtube

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings My Fellow Sniper Server People...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings My Fellow Sniper Server People...

Hi, I'm Jonesie...,

and just recently Joined the HTM site and forum. However, like a good majority of you, I've been playing ever since they released UT99.
    I thought this might be a good place to open some dialogue with my fellow snipers I play with on the ODD new Sniper Server.
    I'd also like to thank the peeps that immediately come to mind for making all this happen, and the others that I don't know.
    Minion, Foo, and Lethal! Thanks guys, I do appreciate it and will help out the fund for supporting the site.

With that all being said, the sniper site is fairly heavily played depending on what time of the day it is, which is not bad for 20 yo game.
    I see a lot of names from way back, from different sites. Some new names as well. Just found out recently that you can play this on steam.
    Crap, I've been using the same CD I'd had since i bought it to reload it occasionally...., and for a mac as well.

Lethal has been a great steward of the Sniper site. He has put in a lot of time and effort into re-adjusting some maps, and keeping things running in general over there.

I do enjoy a competitive sniper match. It's very much like a chess game, where you have to think several moves ahead to win. Do you hide and wait out the clock with a lead, or do you go on the offensive looking for opportunity.

But what I hate and it ruins it for me is the "Trans Queens" as I like to call them. There are only a handful on the sniper server (u know who u r) They try to win the game by transing spot to spot and shooting whomever they come upon. They may win the game, but have multiple deaths. Isn't the object of the game is to win and have as few deaths as possible?

People say how can u just sit in one spot? Well, if it's a good spot and you have no deaths...., why move?
    But in those occasions when it's a tight game, or the person you just killed spotted your position, then definitely move to a new spot by creeping or by trans.
    I rarely use the trans other than to get to a spot I can't reach otherwise.
    But using it to get around the map, just to rake up kills without doing any sniping is just BS.
    Go and play on a different server that allows that kind of R&G stuff.

Anyhoo, just my 2ยข

Thanks guys,

Jonesie

Hi Guys,

Guess it was time to do another post on the forum while I sit here and wait and watch for space X starship 9 try to launch. (i.e. killing some time)

It has been brought to my attention that a few people have read my prior post from 2 years ago. Hard to believe I've been playing on and off for the last 20 years starting with UT99.
    However, the sniper mods were always my favorite, because much like chess, it allowed me to play strategy...., which I love anyhow. Don't even get me started on CivilizationV.

As an old guy, i don't get around fast, so I just prefer to find a good spot to camp, and stay there until im shot or someone sees me. Because with most people it's human nature to go back for the kill or revenge.
    Which brings us to what is and isn't considered revenge..., in my opinion, and a few other gamers on the server.

So..., say somebody shoots you, and you happen to see where they are..., if you go over to where they are by means of trans or running to get to them and revenge them...., thats revenge.

If you spawn across the map, but can see the area/place of the person that just shot you, and wait until you can get a shot on them, because they didn't move or chose not to, then that's ok. It's not considered revenge.
    It's only when you go after them or hunt them.

Which brings us to spawn killing.

So when you are killed, you respawn and are invisible and protected for like 10 to 12 seconds. During this time, it's important to get to a spot you feel is good for camping. (Remember, camper server)
    Sometimes unfortunately, you trans or run into a spot someone is occupying already.

Good player etiquette says that you should vacate that spot, because another player is already camped out there and find another spot. If you so happen to find a spot across from the camper that you had just encroached upon, and they didn't move, and then popped their head out..., shame on them for not moving.

Bad etiquette is when you spawn next to someone in the same spot, and they can't see you, and you wait until you span and shoot them. I lot of these are just common courtesies.

Tele fragging, the art of using your trans as a weapon. In the sniping mod, it not a popular thing to do. It's fine in other UT games, where u have multiple weapons, and opportunity to kill...., but not so much in camping.
    Does it happen on the sniper server? Sometimes.
    I think most times by accident.
    There are 2 ways to die by the trans. The aforementioned telefragging, and by shooting your trans somewhere to get somewhere, and someone else shooting your trans and damaging it. (sparks instead of red flashing light)
    When you go to trans, and your Trans has been shot..., you die.

Someone recently mentioned that if the administrators of the server had not intended for you to use the trans to get around (quickly), they would not have set the server up that way.
    I beg to differ. The trans is set up to reach difficult camping spots, and to get out of a heavy fired upon positions.

I creep more than I trans, and most people I play with know this. Trans give away your position. I have dolby atom SRS for my speaker system, so when u trans or run behind me, i here it and can tell where you are.

So if you feel any of these things are relevant to you, or you disagree with me...., "what say you?"

Let me go on to say that the majority of the gamers on the server play by the said, and unsaid rules which make it fun to play. I personally also enjoy the camaraderie of playing with you guys. Sometimes you give me a good chuckle. : )

I'd also like to thank Foo and Lethal for all they do for the server. It's really unsung hero work, but they do it just the same. Thanks Guys!!

So... did I miss anything? Feel free to respond.

Thanks, Jonesie

P.S. Also, don't forget to donate to the HTM site to help keep the sniper server going and to show your appreciation for this "Free" gaming server. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jonesie; 01-28-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X