The Quest for perfect Aiming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quest for perfect Aiming

I'm currently using a tiny mice from hp with only 400dpi and it feels great...just wish it had side buttons. Anyhow, I realized that high dpi is too freaking sensitive for aiming. All you need to use is 400 dpi and calibrate the ingame sens and viola! All the high dpi sens is crap to sell you a mouse...you dont need all that turning speed...

http://www.gamecrate.com/quest-perfe...c-gaming/10172

Mouse DPI settings are all a matter of personal preference. I tend to agree that a lower DPI setting works better in UT2004. However if you ask 10 different players you will get 10 different answers. It's all a matter of what works for you.

I have read that 400 DPI is the absolute minimum you should use for UT2004. That really only means the mouse can read 400 dots per inch as opposed to 10,000 dots per inch, obviously the latter would be much more sensitive to smaller movements. The key is finding what is NOT overkill and to make it work with the other in-game mouse settings to achieve your desired mouse feel.

If you use the software for most any new mouse you can change the DPI setting. I use a Razer mouse and it has a 10,000 DPI capability, however I use it at 800 DPI (it is adjustable from 100 DPI to 10,000 DPI).

....Just my $.02

Comment

1050 dpi on my razor, doesn't get really bad till I hit 1300 dpi. Turned it up to 10,000 dpi once only spent more time upside down than I liked. lol
      sigpic

Comment

I use a Razer Taipan that can go to 8200 DPI and I have it all the way down to 4000 currently but I may turn it back up.
        Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

Logitech G9 is adjustable on the fly. I usually run mine at 500 DPI but will adjust higher or lower by 100 depending on the server I'm on.
          Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Depends on what you have your sensitivity set to in game settings.I suppose the windows setting controls that too.
            sigpic

Comment

Cousin you using 4000 dpi? Thats truly amazing...for me thats too sens...i'm playing fine with 400 but what keeps others at an advantage is the fact that their using weapon binds....I don't so my switching of weapons is slower. I just dont know how to keybind weapons and im too lazy to learn it lol. So im currently using the arrow keys for movement and the upper buttons (Delete/End/PageDown) for rox/mini and link....those weapons take me longer to switch when i attempt to press them. I no longer use Flak because i have not set it to any buttons...I used to have it set to my side buttons in my last mouse. This current mouse doesnt have side buttons....anyhoo, when i get a better mouse I'll still stick to 400 dpi.

Comment

Originally posted by DesTineD
                Cousin you using 4000 dpi? Thats truly amazing...
                You have to remember that a high DPI setting can also be offset my the mouse sensitivity setting in UT2004. That is why you need to find a happy medium between DPI and the in-game settings.

As for weapon switching, a lot of us use "pipe-switching" it allows two weapons to be bound on a single key. Each time you press the key it will alternate between the two weapons. Google it or read here.

Comment

I like to be able to flip a 180 in one natural hand movement. So I tune the in game sens to get close to that. My GUI settings: .25 sens , no accel, smoothing or mouse lag reduction.

User.ini
                  Code:
                  MouseX=Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=1.0
                  MouseY=Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=1.0
                  ^^^^default is 2.0
                  and
                  Code:
                  MouseSamplingTime=0.001000
                  ^^^^for 1000 hz mice

I change those 2 settings as I set my mouse to 6000 marketing units... er I mean DPI.

I also prefer a heavy mouse so I always look for a weight system. That being said the logitech g9 series is the best I've used followed by the Fatal1ty 2020.

Tichinde posted his config on the forums here somewhere which is good for tuning.

Google knows this:
                  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...M3I2qgWc/edit#

The real secret to perfect aim? Practice.
                  Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                  sigpic

Comment

you dont need all that turning speed...
                    What range and with what weapon?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~ZenEye
                      I like to be able to flip a 180 in one natural hand movement. .
                      I too use this method to set my mouse sensitivity. Good old Yellowdog turned me on to that one years ago. sensitive enough to 180 and shoot behind you, yet easy to aim with as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM|Minion
                        I too use this method to set my mouse sensitivity. Good old Yellowdog turned me on to that one years ago. sensitive enough to 180 and shoot behind you, yet easy to aim with as well.
                        Yep. Good ol' YD.

If you want to get fancy with calibration you can use line ruled paper and a ruler to measure your 180 and 360 degree turns. I'm a "medium" sens so that's like 8" for a 360 degree turn.
                        sigpic

Comment

As for weapon switching, a lot of us use "pipe-switching"
                          Wow never heard of that before...surely im gonna read on it and try to implement it...Thanks!
                          I also prefer a heavy mouse so I always look for a weight system. That being said the logitech g9
                          Damn that mouse is selling for $299 in Amazon yikesss!

Comment

Damn that mouse is selling for $299 in Amazon yikesss!
                            Yeah they don't make it any more. It's their older model. Today I use a logitech g502, only comes with 15g of weight as opposed to 28 for the g9 but it works fine.

I'd look at madcatz mice if I was in the market today. They make good stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X