Follow us on Steam Follow us on FB Follow us on Twitter Subscribe on Youtube

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to stop Windows Update and keep it from restarting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to stop Windows Update and keep it from restarting.

Found these little work arounds to stop Windows Update from loading itself after you have disabled it. This will work until you manually re-enable updates, which might be needed for certain things, but you can do this again after. Windows likes to catch you up on all past updates once you do re-enable, for things like security patches, etc.....but it is a pita as it takes awhile. If you like things the way they are, then this works...has for me going on three months now. I check from time to time in Services to make sure it is still in effect and it seems to hold up so far.

First, open services the way you would normally. I just go into task manager, open the Services tab then click the Open Services link at the bottom. The three services you are looking for are Windows Update, Windows Module Installer and Update Orchestrator Service
    Click image for larger version

Name:	winupdisable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	59381

Next, right click on each one and select Properties near the bottom, and when the window opens, first stop the service, then select Disabled in the Startup Type pull down, then click Apply

Name:	winupdisable2.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	59382

Next, for each of the three services above, you open the properties box again, this time select the Recovery tab and under where it says "Select the computers response if this service fails", you'll see three entries that say First Failure, Second Failure and Subsequent Failures....from the pull-down menu on each, select "Take No Action"

Name:	winupdisable3.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	59383

You must restart windows to lock in the changes. Once you do, open services again to confirm the changes and you should be good to go. Remember to stop each service first, hit Apply after each change then restart to lock in changes.

The last step I found is to set your connection to metered...not sure the effect on hardwired systems like mine but for wifi connections, it adds another option to keep Windows Update from running or restarting.
    I'm not gay........but $20 bucks is $20 bucks!

That seems complicated... and I'll bet Micro$oft will make updates undo it at some point...

Simpler permanent solution:
    1) Insert Windows 7 DVD
    2) Select "Clean Install" option
    3) Set windows updates to MANUAL

Presto! No more Windows Update issues.
    1) It's not "Bunny Hopping", it's Red-Neck Dodging...
    2) I don't "SPAM", I use the randomized tactical deployment of munitions...
    3) If you don't like it - to bad, my bunny-hopping-spam will kill you.

Comment

smart ass...lol
      I'm not gay........but $20 bucks is $20 bucks!

Comment

Any decent penetration handgun round fired laterally through the computer case will also stop windows updates... Permanently....
        1) It's not "Bunny Hopping", it's Red-Neck Dodging...
        2) I don't "SPAM", I use the randomized tactical deployment of munitions...
        3) If you don't like it - to bad, my bunny-hopping-spam will kill you.

Comment

Working...
        X