No announcement yet.

DOOM Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 2004 I purchased DOOM 3...was an awesome damn game. But I could not finish it. I had reached hell but I got stuck somewhere.....was trying to figure out how to proceed on and get out of the area I was in but could not figure it out dammit. I tried and tried to locate a door or shaft but didnt find anything. Anyways I eventually gave up regretfully. So I know Doom 4 is gonna be freaking awesome!

Comment

I received the same email from Amazon with the same arrival date.

Originally posted by HTM|Minion View Post
      UPDATE!

I received this email a few minutes ago:
      Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by DesTineD View Post
        Back in 2004 I purchased DOOM 3...was an awesome damn game. But I could not finish it. I had reached hell but I got stuck somewhere.....was trying to figure out how to proceed on and get out of the area I was in but could not figure it out dammit. I tried and tried to locate a door or shaft but didn't find anything. Anyways I eventually gave up regretfully. So I know Doom 4 is gonna be freaking awesome!
        The final single player in hell boss sequence in Doom3 was a bitch. I really hate boss monsters but after a zillion tries I finally defeated that last huge devil at the end... and that is the finale; and the credits run after. The trick to kill the hell-boss is you have to kill the 3 little flying searchlight demons before you can do any damage to the large monster/devil. And you have to run like hell and accomplish this very quick or the little devils come back and you have to start over and hunt down the flying light-demons again.

This is a game I've replayed and I never get sick of it. I was expecting Doom4, but the remake will fookin rock!
        http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/0/herculon7.png

Comment

I remember sitting on a bbs with my newly upgraded 14.4 modem waiting for ID to upload Doom and all the servers crashing from the stress. I finally got in around midnight and went to bed awaiting the 15 megabytes of glory to be revealed. Next morning expanding the archive to 20 or so floppys and then installing. Launched the game and omg eyesgasms!!!
          “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
          ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'll wait till a little closer to release date and get my pre-order started.
            sigpic

Comment

The other day I asked if anyone knows what the pc specs are for Doom 4. I found this today and it seems I am good to go but I may want to upgrade my vid card.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...emRequirements
              Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

Interesting... Thanks Cuz.

Comment

Min....It looks like the graphics card is the weakest link in our systems, but it still rates 87% on their assessment and everything else is 100% or over. I think we'll be fine.
                  Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

It showed that my graphics card cannot run in this game jajaja gets a score of 5...cpu and ram gets a score of 9 though.

Comment

Im still buying the game and I bet the game will run fine...just bs to get you to buy another graphics card

Comment

I have to upgrade my vid card too, my 260's are getting too old. lol
                        sigpic

Comment

9, 8, 10. graphics card here as well but shows I should be able to run medium to high detail.

Comment

Mine is a go as long as I am on medium settings. I may have to pre-order this one.

Comment

News From Bethesda.net

From BETHESDA.NET, By Gary Steinman

22 Reasons to Love DOOM – Part 1

Twenty-two. While that might not seem like a huge number – you’re barely an adult when you’re 22 – it’s massive when it comes to the history of videogames, spanning multiple hardware generations and numerous industry innovations. That’s why we’re celebrating the 22nd anniversary of DOOM’s release (originally out on Dec. 10, 1993) not by looking back at the original game, but by looking ahead to the new DOOM, releasing this spring.

“DOOM is Deathmatch, an attitude, an expression,” says Senior Producer Sean Bean. “It’s rock-n-roll and sending demons straight back to Hell with a double-barrel shotgun with blood on your face. DOOM is id.”

Whew. While that’s a huge legacy to uphold, the team at id Software is on track to deliver a game that does the original proud while creating something altogether new. So let’s push forward with an inside look at the weapons, the characters, the demons and the teams behind DOOM.

Your Fists

DOOM has always been about visceral, up-close combat. Nothing is more intimate than a swift smack right to the meaty maw of a charging demon. In the new game, though, these melee attacks have taken on an expanded role. With Glory Kills, DOOM now includes brutal finishing moves that look great, feel great (trust us, they’re tons of fun to execute) and, most important, have strategic value: Demons dispatched with a Glory Kill drop more health and supplies. “It’s like this hit of adrenaline every time you do it,” says Executive Producer Marty Stratton. What’s more, Glory Kills are context sensitive (the animations change depending on where you’re looking) and never disrupt the push-forward flow of the combat. “We have very strict time limits on how long they can last,” says Chief Technology Officer Robert Duffy. “They’re hundreds of milliseconds, just because you want to keep the player moving.”[/COLOR]

Domination Through Animation

Speaking of Glory Kills, there’s a ton of animation that goes into each and every one of them. And into the rest of DOOM, as well. It’s all produced by one of the hardest-working animation teams in the business. “We have a diverse group of animators that can handle all situations, from mo-cap to creating gore rigs and models, and then animating and implementing them in the game,” says Senior Animator Brett Paton. “As a team we are trying to push seamless and visceral melee combat without slowing down the overall shooting and movement mechanics that id is well known for.” And the team isn’t just looking at DOOM’s rich legacy for inspiration. According to Paton, they’re also building on the acrobatic enemy movements and traversals from RAGE, another recent id Software game that was widely acclaimed for the enemy AI and animations.

BFG

The name says it all. It’s big, it’s a gun... and it’s a highly effective way to $#%& up demons. “The BFG was – and still is – the most powerful gun in the universe,” says General Manager Garrett Young. ’Nuff said.

Hell

You’ll need all the power you can get, especially when you descend into the depths of Hell. But while your blood-soaked sojourn to the fiery realm might feel familiar to longtime fans of the series – the art team worked hard to capture the essence of the stylized representation of Hell first seen 22 years ago – they’ve also enhanced this vision with a more modern and realistic approach. “Hell is a big part of what makes DOOM intriguing to players,” says Environment Lead Lear Darocy. “The art team had a lot of fun bringing this environment into the current gen, and is pushing the new tech to better help immerse the players in the DOOM universe.”

DOOM Marine

Speaking of Hell, there’s no better person to take on the fiery realm than the DOOM Marine. Why? “Hell fears you, not because you're invulnerable,” says Senior Producer Sean Bean, “but because you're faster, stronger, smarter, and pissed.”

The Art of War

Unlike the DOOM Marine – a solitary figure that must face hordes of demons on his own – a game isn’t the work of one person alone. Led by Art Director Hugo Martin – who joined id a few years ago after a career that spanned both games and Hollywood (including art for the movie Pacific Rim) – the id art team has evolved into a group that prizes teamwork above all else. And they are constantly pushing themselves to be better.

This is essential because, according to Darocy, their goal is to once again raise the bar, much in the same way the original game did. “It adds a great deal of pressure because we aim to repeat history and reintroduce DOOM into pop culture again as well as revitalize the franchise,” he says. “It’s a tall order that requires true teamwork. We push ourselves technically, and we are always learning new processes to improve art.”

Pop Culture Icon

Of course, DOOM is already a pop culture icon. Not only was there a movie starring Dwayne Johnson (back when he was still going by “The Rock”). Not only has the original game been ported to just about every single device that can hold a current – from consoles to handhelds to printers and ATMs. But there have been a host of other pop culture callouts over the years – including guest appearances on some of our favorite TV sitcoms. “DOOM was on Friends,” Paton laughs. “I mean Chandler played it in an episode!”

Popularizing the FPS

It’s easy to see why DOOM has been so pervasive in pop culture. While DOOM wasn’t the first FPS – id Software’s Wolfenstein is generally credited for launching the genre – it was the game that made first-person shooters so popular. In fact, it took a while for the term “FPS” to catch on; new games in this budding genre were initially referred to as “DOOM clones” by the critics and community. But what was it about DOOM that made it such a breakthrough hit? For Audio Director Chris Hite, it’s all about the attitude. “While the culture and environment looks very different than what it was 22 years ago, there will always be a place for irreverence,” he says. “Just referencing technology and graphics is a trap, and it ignores the more fundamental aspects of what makes DOOM so great. DOOM, and id Software as a whole, has always represented for me a bit of defiance. When everyone goes right, we tend to go left. There is an honesty with DOOM, a purity to it that is just as accessible today as it was 22 years ago. Gamers can immediately feel it. I think that this, above all else, is what keeps DOOM in the hearts and minds of the older generation and the new.”

“There was nothing, nothing like it at the time,” adds Senior Producer Sean Bean. “It was ridiculous and fast and cathartic and unapologetic… and frickin’ hard. It’s relevant now because it's primal, the part of us that never goes away.”

Capturing this attitude and experience – and bringing it to the current generation of gamers – has been a big focus for Executive Producer Marty Stratton. “Our approach has been that this game needs to first and foremost be incredibly fun,” he says, “no matter your past history with DOOM. If someone has never heard of DOOM before, I think we will make them a fan. But, for those who are already fans, I hope they see and appreciate the inspiration we’ve drawn from the legacy of DOOM and enjoy how that permeates everything, from the combat, guns and characters to some of our best secrets.”

Comment

DOOM Release Date, Collector’s Edition and Pre-Order Bonuses

DOOM Release Date, Collector’s Edition and Pre-Order Bonuses

From BETHESDA.NET by Anne Lewis

Whether you’re on the surface of Mars or in the fiery depths of Hell, Friday the Thirteenth will be a very big day. On May 13, 2016, you’ll be able to shoot, punch and chainsaw your way through hordes of demons when DOOM launches on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

But why stop with simply destroying demons? If you’re seeking a real demonic possession, then you’ll want to pick up the DOOM collector’s edition. Complete with a 12-inch-tall statue of the fearsome Revenant made from high-quality PVC, the DOOM collector’s edition will add a hellish touch to any room. The Revenant, which was modeled using actual in-game 3D files, stands sentry on a base-lit turbine that slowly rotates internally, casting an eerily flickering glow onto the nightmarish glory of this iconic DOOM demon.

The collector’s edition also includes the full game, safely ensconced in an exclusive metal case. The DOOM collector’s edition will be $119.99 (US), €129.99 (Europe), and £99.99 (UK), and is available for pre-order now. Those who pre-order either the collector’s edition or the standard edition of DOOM will receive the Demon Multiplayer Pack, which includes exclusive multiplayer goodies like a demon armor set with three skin variations, six metallic paint colors and three id logo patterns for your weapons and armor, and a set of six Hack Modules – consumable items that will give you an edge in a multiplayer match.

Comment

Working...
                                X