Windows 7 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Question

I know at least a couple of you guys are running windows 7. I installed this tonight and I like it very much so far, but since I made the jump from XP -> windows 7 I'm a little confused.

How the heck to I get my settings to stick in UT2004? I change my settings, but every time I restart it my video resolution is back to default....

HELP A NOOB!

I don't run ut on my W7 box so i cant speak from experience, but i think i've seen where ppl didn't have a problem. Point being that it's not necessarily the marriage of the two...there could be something else causing it.

Vid settings reverting...could DirectX have anything to do with it?

Comment

Since my post I've noticed that my config files are locked as "read only" unless I change thier permissions. I'll try that when I get home, I believe the resolution settings are in the UT2004.ini file (I changed permissions on the User.ini thinking they were in there...doh!).

This OS is very fast as well as visually appealing, it loaded drivers for every peice of hardware I had including my new Lexmark wireless printer and everything works flawlessly... I must say I'm impressed.

Comment

Heya Min. I've been running Win 7 for a bit, it has a lot of similarities to Vista (the kernel was virtually untouched). I've ran UT with no problems so far (more than I can say for Vista for whatever reason). Anyway if you have any issues with older programs like UT2k4, you can always try running it in XP compatibility mode (right-click the UT executable, choose properties then click the compatibility tab). Also, make sure you are logged in as Administrator. You can also right-click the executable and run as administrator. Something that I prefer is turning UAC off. It takes a lot of headaches out of doing tasks and running programs and makes the OS a lot less intrusive. Go to control panel-user accounts-user account control. In this version of Windows, there are different levels of UAC instead of just off and on. So you can set it to your personal taste. Make sure of course you have the latest drivers for your hardware. If you are running the 64-bit version of the OS, you can download the UT2k4 64-bit executable and the 64-bit 3369 patch, although UT should run just fine with the 32-bit .exe. If you have other issues, just post it and I am sure one of us will have the answer.
        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you are setup as a user, not an administrator, hence no file editing capabilities that stick...

Comment

i had that same issue when i installed W7, and i was the admin.. the issue was rooted in the fact i copied my game install over to the new drive, and used my 2004 key changer to register my key in the registry, and since those files hadn't been installed under 7, it set em all to read only.. i did as minion did, and took ownership of the entire directory and contents, then set em to full access, and *pop* no more problems

BTW..

I <3 W7 64b
            -----

ScRiPt3r aka W@RpY aka WTF\ever aka Fl@cWh0r3 aka Player174a.c2 aka Fr33_Adr3n aka ...

oh hell..

just call me Ale.E.Ass3r!

Comment

Got my ram in but still chicken to make the switch,I'm sure I'll have probs.
              sigpic

Comment

I got it to work by changing file permissions, seems to work well except the driver for my Physx card doesn't seem to work. I disabled it for now and 2k4 seems to play ok.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Which physx card do you use? I am using the Asus PhysX P1 (Ageia) and haven't had any issues. If you are using an nVIDIA GPU, the physx software and drivers should be included with the GPU's drivers, if not post your model and I can research it for you. Here is a link for your convenience http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0428_whql.html (if using GeFORCE series 8 or above)
                  sigpic

Comment

For some reason the driver won't load. It says it's installed, but the operating system still says no driver is installed. I even installed "as administrator" and still no go. I'm lost on this one...

Comment

I'd yank the physx card, if it not's going to work don't strain your PSU.
                      Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                      sigpic

Comment

ya when you run any install files, always run them "as administrator" thats one thing i learned quick in w7 heh
                        -----

ScRiPt3r aka W@RpY aka WTF\ever aka Fl@cWh0r3 aka Player174a.c2 aka Fr33_Adr3n aka ...

oh hell..

just call me Ale.E.Ass3r!

Comment

Well i started to pull the physx card, then i though just for grins I'd delete my ut2004.ini and let it rewrite. I played 4 games with no crash..so I suppose that fixed it somehow.

It still will not reconize I loaded the physx driver and I can't find any driver files by that name in system32/drivers.

Comment

Make a post about it in windows 7 forums, see if anyone else has a solution.
                            Mind as muscle, Body as energy, Spirit as thought.
                            sigpic

Comment

Phoenix is running the card with win7 64 bit without an issue.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X