Out for a bit - Crashed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out for a bit - Crashed!

I think either my MOBO or my SSD is fried on my game PC. It hangs up on post at Detecting drives. When it finally starts the BOOTMGR shows as missing so it's not seeing the SSD drive. Tried switching cables and SATA ports and no difference. Next step is to pull the drive and hook it up to another PC and see if it is recognized. If it isn't then the drive is dead. If it's recognized, then the MOBO has issues.

This build is about 4 years old so maybe it's time to upgrade. Yeah, that's the problem, my E8400 is just too old and the RAM is tired and the drives are spinning slower as they get old and........Dang, it's time for a new build!
    Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

That sucks man, too bad the only solution may be a new build *wink wink*.

Let me know what you choose to use for the new build, I think I may be right behind you and I have seriously lost touch with the new hardware available.

Comment

It looks like the drive is shot. I attached it to my external drive dock on another computer and it doesn't show up at all. With a regular HD they usually give you some indication that it's failing. Not so with an SSD, it just quits. For right now I will probably just replace it but will start looking at components for my next build.

Comment

As long as you are back to playing UT by tonight its all good
        Something Clever Goes Here

Comment

Damn that sucks... I am thinking of a new build as well.

Comment

Tiger.com has some great bare bones kits, but you gotta make sure they are full ATX mobos.
            Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Cousin_Itt
              Tiger.com has some great bare bones kits, but you gotta make sure they are full ATX mobos.

I went to tiger.com and found this bare bones setup, I think I'm going to order it.

Comment

Looks like a micro ATX Min, you may want to dig further...

Comment

This site is your friend. They keep up on hardward and can help you. Choose wisely -

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
                  “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
                  ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Picked up a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO at Microcenter and installed it along with a copy of Windows 8 64 bit that I never got around to installing. I figured if I had to go with a new drive I might as well do the OS upgrade. I'm writing this on it so...it works! Should have TS and UT installed by tomorrow night.

Comment

Cool site Non. I hadn't heard of it before. I usually hit Anandtech and tomshardware for info on the latest stuff. Then check pricing at Microcenter, Newegg, TigerDirect, Provantage, and occasionally Buy.com. Microcenter had what I wanted in stock and for a decent price.

Comment

Since you have installed Win 8, I would recommend a free little program called Classic Shell so you can bypass the Metro screen and have your start button back as well as better navigation.

Comment

Non... that site rocks!
                          Something Clever Goes Here

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~Bluesman View Post
                            Picked up a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO at Microcenter and installed it along with a copy of Windows 8 64 bit that I never got around to installing. I figured if I had to go with a new drive I might as well do the OS upgrade. I'm writing this on it so...it works! Should have TS and UT installed by tomorrow night.
                            Tomorrow? Your install process should be very simple: OS, drivers, UT.

I'm going to take three points off your reputation for installing Windows 8.

Glad to hear you're up and running again and yes your iteration of searching is very similar to what I used to do before I found that one site that I posted. They do all of that for you and save you about 20 hours of your employers Labor dollars. : )
                            “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
                            ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~nonstop
                              I'm going to take three points off your reputation for installing Windows 8.
                              Only three?

Comment

Working...
                              X