Vid card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vid card

Ok, my old alienware is...well old. I think we're in the 11 year range at this point and my video card is starting to die. i'm getting artifacts in game and Folding At Home has been running 24/7 since I bought this. I'd love to upgrade and build a new computer but that just insn't in the finances aright now. I would like to upgrade my Vid Card though. Currently i'm running an AMD Radeon 6900 card. i'm being told that a GeForce GTX 980 Ti would be a decent drop in. I've been out of the building computers game since 2005 and just don't have the knowledge i once did. Any thoughts guys?

So what are you looking to do gaming wise. There are many cards out there you could use including what you listed. What available slots do you have? 11 year old pc can make a bit of an issue itself. What model of Alienware you got and from what year? AKA we need specs bro! Send us the info so we can talk discuss it.
    Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

Whats up Cheez, Cuz.

I'm not sure but I believe that the HTM Benevolent Fund will help with a little cash for a new video card Cheez. I'll pitch in a few bucks if that will help. Just PM me your address.

Also if you are familiar with electronics you could remove your existing Vid card and dis-assemble it so that you may clean and replace any old dried out heat sink compound used between many of the components especially the processor(s). This will give it new life but is usually only a temporary fix of a year or so because heat may (or will) have already damaged something. You just don't know.

I was doing that to the Vid card in my 2007 Mac I use for mapping but it got to where it would not work at all. I did this for about three years. I can't get a Vid card
      for this Mac anymore and so my mapping has come to a halt until I figure something out.

I wish you just lived around the block from me as I have a brand new Dell XPS 8910 that I would give you. I tried it for mapping but couldn't get it to work with the old UT04 Mapping Editor. I know, sounds weird but i'll explain if necessary. I did install a second HD.

Later guys
      "I tried to think but nuttin' happened."

Comment

yeah, if you don't have a CPU to handle the bandwidth of a new card, it will be bottle-necked to the point of being no faster than your old card. I had the same issue where I upgraded to a few years ago to a newer card, but still had an old P4 and saw literally no video gains. Ended up putting in a little faster CPU that the old board could still handle and that helped but truth be told, find a similar card that will work for now, and set aside some money for a newer MOBO, CPU RAM and card. You can use your same HD, case, fans, etc and get what you need that way. I'd be willing to chip in some cash to help you out too bish!
        I'm not gay........but $20 bucks is $20 bucks!

Comment

Lots of cards could do as well as what you have now and wouldn't cost a lot. UserBenchmark puts your current card at 141th out of 639 cards tested. As others have said, a big upgrade to the card probably wont make a huge impact unless you plan on updating other components

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

I just ordered a new Dell XPS PC as my main machine is about 10 years old now and I wanted to get something newer before I retirel. If you want and can wait a few weeks until I get the new rig and transfer everything to it, I can send you my GTX460 video card that I'm running in the old machine. It's a tick slower than your card (ranked 188th out of 639 cards), but will run UT2K4 without a problem.
          Having a dog named "Shark" at the beach was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~BullyBob View Post
            Whats up Cheez, Cuz.

I'm not sure but I believe that the HTM Benevolent Fund will help with a little cash for a new video card Cheez. I'll pitch in a few bucks if that will help. Just PM me your address.

Also if you are familiar with electronics you could remove your existing Vid card and dis-assemble it so that you may clean and replace any old dried out heat sink compound used between many of the components especially the processor(s). This will give it new life but is usually only a temporary fix of a year or so because heat may (or will) have already damaged something. You just don't know.

I was doing that to the Vid card in my 2007 Mac I use for mapping but it got to where it would not work at all. I did this for about three years. I can't get a Vid card
            for this Mac anymore and so my mapping has come to a halt until I figure something out.

I wish you just lived around the block from me as I have a brand new Dell XPS 8910 that I would give you. I tried it for mapping but couldn't get it to work with the old UT04 Mapping Editor. I know, sounds weird but i'll explain if necessary. I did install a second HD.

Later guys

Bob.......If you are saying that you would be willing to give your Dell XPS to Cheezy, we could figure out a way to get it to him. If you have it boxed, just give me a weight and we'll email you a UPS call tag to pick it up and ship. He lives in Prescott AZ.

Comment

Yes Blues I would give it to Cheez. It's doing me no good. It is still in the original box.

I think the second HD I installed is :
              1.0 TB Seagate
              SSHD 3.5, SATA 6 G/s
              7200 RPM Hybrid Drive w/8 GB Flash

This PC is at least three years old.

Specs:
              DELL XPS 8910 (Silver)
              Intel Core i5-6400 Processor
              8GB Memory
              1TB Hard Drive
              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 + 8GB Memory
              Windows 10
              DVD-RW
              Media Card Reader
              HDMI & USB 3.1
              Waves MaxxAudio
              Dell Keyboard and Laser Mouse

WT. 62 lbs

Blues you'll have to hold my hand with this emailing a tag and UPS pickup as I have not done this before.

Originally posted by HTM~Bluesman View Post
              Bob.......If you are saying that you would be willing to give your Dell XPS to Cheezy, we could figure out a way to get it to him. If you have it boxed, just give me a weight and we'll email you a UPS call tag to pick it up and ship. He lives in Prescott AZ.
              Last edited by HTM~BullyBob; 05-18-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Just need your address and Cheeze's. Will also need to hear from him whether this will work for him.

Seal up the box. You'll get an email with a UPS label to print out and tape securely to the box. Call UPS to schedule a pickup and they take care of the rest

One note: The weight you mentioned sounds really high. I've got a similar computer shipping this week and that one is only 22 lbs. Even with the box and accessories, I wouldn't think it would weigh more than 30.

Comment

Sure. Did seem kind of heavy.....I'll weigh it myself............got the weight off of the receipt......It really only weighs 28.8 lbs. Stood on the scales and weighed 195.8. Held the box and it weighed 223.8

It's ready to go just make sure Cheeze is ok with it. He's an old friend from way back and I'm glad to have it to give.

....gotta Wolf keyboard also like the one Zen used. it's new also. Won't work on my Mac.

I'll send a PM with my info as soon as Cheeze lets us know.

Comment

WAIT WAIT WAIT GUYS guys!!!! I appreciate the offers! Truly I do. You're literally making me tear up on this. I just want to upgrade the vid card for now and I'll be building a new kickass Zenbeating comp in the future. Right now I'm sinking my spare cash (stupidly my wife would say) into my Suzuki Samurai Project and don't have 2500 bucks for components. I've noticed the artifacts while playing and have had other errors to lead me to believe the card is going out. I want to be a little preemptive and replace it with a minor upgrade. I found that the 6950 card that's in here is like $650 now and replacing whats there with the same thing is out of the question. An upgraded card is cheaper (170?)but with all the new slots and formats I just don't remember how to arrange things anymore. I haven't built a computer in years, almost decades and at the time I got this one I had to finance because I was a broke dick. So anyway here is the Service Tag for the comp as built, the only changes are windows 10 now. all the hardware is the same, I replaced the cooler a few years back due to leakage of the factory waterblock. Ok, holy shit, Thank you guys. As always the HTM clan is great group of guys.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...Zz090/overview

I just ran the benchmark and nothing is glaring at me as bad:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28301821
                    Last edited by HTM~CheeZmonZter; 05-19-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Ok man...now you know why I hit you up on FB about it...the GeForce GTX 980 Ti will work fine and is a great card. It can be carried over nicely to a new build. Per the old card you should have no issues installing it. And..bam...Blues avatar got me distracted again!
                      Last edited by HTM~Cousin_Itt; 05-19-2020, 10:34 PM.
                      Wake up and smell the corruption!

Comment

Well shit. You're too late Cheeze. It's already shipped.

Don't feel bad though because I also included 47 issues of my favorite mag Bamboo! It's all about how you can make home furniture out of new and used Bamboo. You'll love them. I also sent you the latest revision of my self-constructed Arkansas Tic farm. Made of solid plastic you will have a great time with these little fellers. And lastly I sent 3 of my homemade masks. Each made from a pair of Men's briefs. Your friends will get a kick at a restaurant when you have a little flap to eat from and they have to pull down their masks. Hilarious.

Namaste.

Originally posted by HTM~CheeZmonZter View Post
                        WAIT WAIT WAIT GUYS guys!!!! I appreciate the offers! Truly I do. You're literally making me tear up on this. I just want to upgrade the vid card for now and I'll be building a new kickass Zenbeating comp in the future. Right now I'm sinking my spare cash (stupidly my wife would say) into my Suzuki Samurai Project and don't have 2500 bucks for components. I've noticed the artifacts while playing and have had other errors to lead me to believe the card is going out. I want to be a little preemptive and replace it with a minor upgrade. I found that the 6950 card that's in here is like $650 now and replacing whats there with the same thing is out of the question. An upgraded card is cheaper (170?)but with all the new slots and formats I just don't remember how to arrange things anymore. I haven't built a computer in years, almost decades and at the time I got this one I had to finance because I was a broke dick. So anyway here is the Service Tag for the comp as built, the only changes are windows 10 now. all the hardware is the same, I replaced the cooler a few years back due to leakage of the factory waterblock. Ok, holy shit, Thank you guys. As always the HTM clan is great group of guys.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...Zz090/overview

I just ran the benchmark and nothing is glaring at me as bad:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28301821

Comment

Just don't let Timbo know about the masks Bob.........He might make a trip up there to buy a few.

Comment

Originally posted by HTM~BullyBob View Post
                            Well shit. You're too late Cheeze. It's already shipped.

Namaste.
                            I really hope you're kidding!!

in other notes, the 980 is flippin expensive. I honestly don't know which card to get at this point. But i think this is way to much money for a 10 year old vid card:
                            https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-G.../dp/B00YU72IS6

I can get a1050 for less money. https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gefo.../dp/B01M25X363

Any suggestions based on the system config and keeping in mind I'd prefer to be around $200?

Oh, and if you didn't ship the computer, can I still have some of the mens brief masks? I've got a few guys at work that need them cause they've always got dickbreath anyway.

Comment

So it seems my choices are limited based on the PCIe 2.0 X 16 architecture of my Mobo. the faster 1050 card would be restricted based on that. but considering how much a new cards cost would I be better off just buying the faster 3.0x16 cards and accepting the losses?

Comment

Working...
                              X